Kristan Hawkins speaks at the Turning Point USA event on Wednesday evening in the OHara Student Center.
Turning Point USA speaker Kristan Hawkins draws protest
By Emma Hannan and Kyra McCague April 19, 2024

Pitt formally begins search for new dean of students with job posting

Nearly nine months after Pitt promoted former Vice Provost and Dean of Students Kathy Humphrey, the University has formally begun its search to fill the position for the long term.

Though the job has been open since January, Pitt posted a listing for the position on Pitt Source — its human resources website — on Wednesday. Since Chancellor Patrick Gallagher promoted Humphrey to senior vice chancellor and chief of staff in January, Kenyon Bonner, former associate dean and director of student life, has filled the role in the interim.

As of Thursday, Pitt had not posted the job on any other higher education job search websites, including the Chronicle of Higher Education Vitae site, which universities — like Pitt — often use for job searches.

A search committee — which Vice Provost for Undergraduate Studies Juan Manfredi will head — will accept and vet applications until Nov. 15. Pitt hopes to fill the position by July 1 of next year.

In the listing, Pitt specified applicants must have an advanced degree — a masters or doctorate. Pitt’s last four deans of students have all had doctorate degrees. Bonner, who is serving in the interim position, has a Master of Education degree in rehabilitation counseling, making him eligible, education-wise, for the position.

Director of Communications for the Division of Student Affairs Shawn Ahearn referred all inquiries to Vice Chancellor of Communications Ken Service. Service could not comment in time for publication.

According to the job description on Pitt Source, the vice provost and dean of students oversees the division of student affairs and “plays a pivotal and supportive role in the achievement of the University’s broader educational goals.”

In that role, the vice provost and dean of students coordinate various offices including the Offices of Student Life and Residence Life, as well as the University Counseling Center and Student Health Services.

Editor’s note: A previous version of this story referred to Shawn Ahearn as the Director of Student Affairs. Director of Communications for the Division of Student Affairs. The story has been updated to reflect this change.