Opinion | I am media literate and also don’t like ‘Poor Things’
By Delaney Rauscher Adams, Staff Columnist • 1:11 am

No. 25 Pitt cracks AP Top 25 poll

Linebacker Mike Caprara celebrates a safety against Virginia. Jeff Ahearn | Senior Staff Photographer

After Pitt defeated Georgia Tech on Saturday, some fans waited anxiously for Sunday’s AP Top 25 poll to see if the Panthers would receive recognition for their 5-1 start.

The Panthers slid into the No. 25 spot of the media poll and are ranked for the first time since 2010, when Pitt was No. 15 in the preseason poll.

After beating Georgia Tech (2-5, 0-4 ACC) 31-28 on Saturday, Pitt grabbed sole possession of first place in the ACC Coastal division with a 3-0 conference record. Pitt’s sole loss this season came at No. 12 Iowa on Sept. 19.

While Pitt earned a preseason ranking before the 2010 season, the Panthers haven’t been ranked in-season since 2009, when they peaked at No. 8.

Pitt is one of four ACC teams in the top 25 this week, joining No. 6 Clemson, No. 9 Florida State and No. 23 Duke.

The Panthers next travel to Syracuse (3-3, 1-1 ACC) on Saturday before returning home to host North Carolina on Thursday, Oct. 29. The Tar Heels (5-1, 2-0 ACC) received 17 votes in the AP poll this week.