Sponsored
×
Two pedestrians killed in accident involving Port Authority bus near upper campus - The Pitt News

Two pedestrians killed in accident involving Port Authority bus near upper campus

The bus accident took place near upper campus in October 2015. | Dale Shoemaker / Contributing Editor

By Danielle Fox and Dale Shoemaker / Pitt News Staff

An accident involving a Port Authority bus has killed two pedestrians near upper campus this afternoon.

Port Authority spokesman Adam Brandolph said two passengers, a woman and a man in a wheelchair, had exited an incoming 83 Bedford Hill bus at the intersection of Centre Avenue, University Drive and Allequippa Street in the Oakland/ Hill District area around 2 p.m.  The pedestrians were crossing in front of the bus when a vehicle approaching from the incoming direction struck the man in the wheelchair, throwing him under the bus. 

The female passenger tried to assist the man, but the bus was already driving away from the stop. Both passengers died at the scene.

University Spokesman Ken Service said the victims are not connected to the University, but Pitt Police did respond to the accident to assist Port Authority Police.

Pittsburgh Police are investigating.