Turning Point USA speaker Kristan Hawkins draws protest
By Emma Hannan and Kyra McCague 8:57 am
By Julia Smeltzer, Digital Manager • 2:23 am

By Emma Hannan and Kyra McCague 8:57 am

Editorial: Halloween etiquette 101

Just don’t catcall anyone. Not even the cats.

Be kind and don’t shame the sexy variations — whether inanimate object, animal or occupation — you encounter this Halloween.

After all, with the Pittsburgh winter approaching, we should take advantage of the opportunity to wear as few clothes as possible while we can still do so safely. More importantly, sexual shaming and violence do not have a place on our campus.

Tuesday night, the Campus Women’s Organization held “Take Back the Night,” an annual march and rally against sexual and domestic violence. Students protested against slut shaming — marching, carrying signs and yelling in rhymes through megaphones. “Whatever you wear, wherever you go, yes means yes, no means no,” they chanted.

Let’s carry that attitude forward to this holiday week — and forever after that. And while you are at it, please refrain from offensive Halloween tropes.

In case you’re not sure, here are some costumes to avoid: Native American, blackface, Arab, geisha and anything that appropriates or objectifies people or their culture.   

Cultural appropriation is a form of micro-aggression. Micro-aggressions are racist acts that are not overt and that an actor may not be aware of, but that harm people of the appropriated cultures nonetheless.

Portraying and perpetuating negative stereotypes of other cultures has very real consequences. For example, a 2010 study conducted by Prieto, Okazaki, Goldstein and Kirschner found that exposure to American Indian mascots increased stereotyping of other minority groups.

If you think your costume may be cultural appropriation, just don’t wear it. Be a scarecrow — or even a sexy scarecrow. If you’re feeling adventurous, you could try dressing up as a sexy Donald Trump — if you fail, find solace in the fact that you’re probably the more likeable Trump. 

This Halloween, don’t limit yourself by gender constructs, as long as you stay respectful.

It is OK to realize your lifelong dream to embody Glinda the Good Witch. It’s not OK to dress up as Caitlyn Jenner.

These costumes perpetuate anti-LGBTQ+ sentiments and pose psychological effects for transgender individuals.

According to the National Transgender Discrimination Survey from the National Center for Transgender Equality and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, transgender individuals who experienced rejection by family and friends, discrimination, victimization or violence have a higher risk of attempting suicide.

As you prepare to traipse around Oakland as someone — or something — else this Saturday, don’t forget to keep Halloween etiquette in mind.

Respect people no matter what they’re wearing. Let loose, eat some candy and have a spooky good time. Relive your childhood sense of joy.

Just don’t be a terror in Oakland this Halloween.