Kristan Hawkins speaks at the Turning Point USA event on Wednesday evening in the OHara Student Center.
By Emma Hannan and Kyra McCague April 19, 2024

Editorial: Casual Fridays

Schoolhouse or bust

On Thursday, broadcaster eNCA reported a South African high school student really went the distance for his grade. When the bus driver didn’t show up to take the students to their final year mathematics exam, Le-An Adonis pulled out all the stops and pulled up the emergency break, commandeering the bus at the urging of his fellow classmates. Adonis ended up treating students to a drive-in admission when police stopped the bus a short distance from the school. Adonis had some fast and studious driving skills though, and the students still arrived on time for their exam.

Berning desires

For the people who get really fired up by Bernie Sanders’ campaign, a Vermont startup has created an underwear line featuring the presidential candidate’s image and slogan, “Feel the Bern.” The underdog may have climbed to the top of the polls, but now he’s back on bottom, and it can be your bottom for $15 plus shipping and handling. Looks like something can come between you and your Calvins — Bernie Sanders. The underwear come with Larry David’s instructions for authenticity, “Buy one pair, and wash them every day.”

Homeward bound

A Texas pitbull’s California dream just came to an end. Police recently found Thor the dog wandering the streets of Crescent City, California, and dropped him off at the Del Norte County Animal Shelter. Apparently, he had gone out west after running from his San Marcos, Texas home during a May flood. Using microchip data, workers at the shelters discovered that Thor had traveled a full 2,000 miles to get to California from Texas. After packing up his doggy bag, the pitbull hit the road with a driver who volunteered to drive Thor back to his family. His family’s in for quite a shock. Thor has seen some ruff times as a traveling man’s best friend and will arrive home a changed dog.

No pick up

On Tuesday, a Pittsburgh judge of elections decided to take a day off from work — on election day. Darrin Farmer of North Versailles, decided against coming into the precinct with the voting equipment, choosing to spend his day giving jitney rides instead. As it turns out, not even our election officials have much faith in the election system. While he may have started the day driving a jitney car, he ended it in a police car. Farmer faces charges of tampering with public records and obstructing a government function for his unexcused day off.

You better Belieb it

Boston City Councilor Matt O’Malley is no match for Justin Bieber’s Beliebers. Last week, the pop star asked artists around the world to paint murals inspired by his upcoming album. He wanted Calvin Klein versions of him only. On Thursday, Bieber posted a picture of a mural featuring the phrase, “Where Are U Now,” inspired by a track on Bieber’s upcoming album, “Purpose,” painted on a Boston pizza shop. O’Malley, a belieber in the law, joked that he would file legislation to keep such murals off city walls. Fans couldn’t belieb it and responded with tweets calling for O’Malley to focus on things like crime and poverty. O’Malley replied that his comment had been sarcastic. Fans weren’t buying it, telling him, “It’s too late now to say sorry.”