The Pitt News

Pitt student found dead over weekend

By Lauren Rosenblatt and Elizabeth Lepro / Assistant News Editors

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






A Pitt student passed away on Saturday, Nov. 7. He was 25.

Chris Beel was pronounced dead at 12:23 p.m. at the Intensive Care Unit of Allegheny General Hospital from cardiac arrest due to an accidental heroin overdose, according to Rick Lorah, supervisor for the Allegheny County Medical Examiner’s office.

Beel overdosed in Venetia, Pennsylvania and was flown to Allegheny General Hospital. Lorah said he did not suspect foul play in Beel’s death.

Pitt spokesperson Joe Miksch confirmed that Beel was a Pitt student, but could not confirm Beel’s year or academic plan. According to the University’s Directory Service website, Beel was undeclared.

This is the second reported drug overdose at the University this year. Victor Firman, a 22-year-old Pitt student from Connecticut, died of an accidental heroin and cocaine overdose on August 30, 2015.

Miksch said the University could not provide further comment at this time.

Friends and family seeking counseling can contact the University Counseling Center at 412-648-7930.

Editor’s Note: It is always difficult for a newspaper to report a student’s passing, but to prevent misinformation about this tragedy, The Pitt News feels obligated to do so.

Leave a comment.

The University of Pittsburgh's Daily Student Newspaper
Pitt student found dead over weekend