Stephany Andrade poses for a photo while reading a book.
By Thomas Riley, Opinions Editor • 5:31 pm

Pitt searches for new vice chancellor of communications

Pitt is actively continuing its search to replace Ken Service, the current vice chancellor of communications.

The University hired Heyman Associates, an executive search firm for communications and public affairs positions, in July to find a replacement for Service, according to Pitt spokesperson John Fedele. Service announced his retirement for the end of this year in July. The listing on the firm’s website calls for a candidate with qualifications including a Master’s degree in journalism, communications or marketing and a minimum of 15 years experience in the field.

Pitt will fill Service’s position by the summer of 2016, according to a Pitt Chronicle article where Service announced his retirement. Service worked for the University as the director of news and information from 1994 to 2001, before leaving to work as vice president for institutional relations at La Roche College and then executive director of the Pittsburgh Council on Higher Education. He returned to Pitt in 2013 as the chief communications officer.

“The time has now come for me to make an important personal transition,” Service said.

Kathy Humphrey, senior vice chancellor for engagement and chief of staff, said Pitt was searching for someone who would “aggressively” tell Pitt’s story.

Humphrey added that Service will work with the University to find a suitable replacement.

“We are grateful that Ken has agreed to work with us as we search to find our next vice chancellor of communications,” Humphrey said in a release in July.

Service said he plans to spend his remaining time at Pitt improving the University.

“I have worked with many talented and dedicated people here at Pitt,” Service said. “I look forward to continuing to make a contribution during my remaining time at Pitt.”