Kristan Hawkins speaks at the Turning Point USA event on Wednesday evening in the OHara Student Center.
By Emma Hannan and Kyra McCague April 19, 2024

Offensive efficiency carrying Pitt to conference success

Nikki Moriello | Visual Editor

When the No. 24 Pitt men’s basketball team was averaging more than 80 points per game in December, it was tempting to attribute its success to the lesser competition.

With the team’s first two conference wins coming at home against bottom-tier teams in Syracuse and Georgia Tech, a road game against a still-formidable Notre Dame team could have dismantled the Panthers.  But now, with Pitt (14-1, 3-0 ACC) remaining one of four undefeated ACC teams after beating the Fighting Irish 86-82 Saturday, the gaudy offensive numbers haven’t subsided. These new-look Panthers are scoring nearly 20 more points per game than last year’s squad, which finished a mediocre 18-15.

Pitt instantly resumed its prolific scoring when it opened the game in South Bend, Indiana, on a 13-0 run. Another scoring stretch of 9-2 to start the second half helped Pitt hold on for a 86-82 win, maintaining the team’s clip of 85 points per game.

“We came out hot and with such a good start, especially myself, we knew they were going to make a run,” Pitt forward Michael Young said. “Coming out hot to start definitely helps.”

The offensive performance stands out in simple and adjusted metrics as well. According to KenPom, a college basketball analytics site, Pitt owns the nation’s fourth most efficient offense with 120.6 points per 100 possessions.

“We got that lead and we were scoring,” Pitt head coach Jamie Dixon said. “I think we continued to score the rest of the half … we kept making our shots and played good defense.”

But even with the offensive stats suggesting Pitt’s scoring prowess, its upcoming schedule should truly test whether that efficiency is sustainable. On Thursday, the team will face No. 16 Louisville, which boasts the nation’s fifth most efficient defense, according to KenPom, even after falling in an upset loss to Clemson Sunday. A week later, Pitt will travel to face Florida State and its 42nd most efficient defense. But if Pitt can start games like it did against Notre Dame, those defensive teams may have to change their identity mid-contest.

When Pitt jumped out to a 20-8 advantage on Saturday, it forced Notre Dame to alter its game plan and shoot quicker to cut the lead down.

Notre Dame coach Mike Brey said his team switched to a more attacking mindset when it trailed that early, even though there was still a long game to play.

“We started the game and the half on our heels, and it’s so exhausting. For us to have a Matt Ryan three to tie it, I don’t know if we deserve that, frankly,” Brey said. “We kind of played all over the place, and they’re too good, they burn you.”

As a result of their high-tempo play and their one-loss record, the Panthers are now gaining more national buzz.

“That’s a great road win for Pitt at Notre Dame,” CBS Sports analyst Seth Davis tweeted after the game. “I know the Irish [are] down but that’s a tough place to win. I will definitely rank em.”

Pitt players have repeatedly said the key to their offensive flow is the ability to score from every position on the court, a luxury they have not always had. But 15 games into the season, Pitt’s four-pronged attacking focal point is set in cement. Senior James Robinson, along with juniors Young, Jamel Artis and Sheldon Jeter, contributed 68 of Pitt’s 86 points on Saturday. Take out Robinson’s modest six, and the other three made up 72 percent of the team’s scoring.

Dixon said Jeter, the only non-starter of the four, provides the contribution and minutes of a starter and has earned a spot as one of the team’s playmakers.

“We’ve had a lot of close games, and [Jeter] will continue to be in those games for obvious reasons,” Dixon said. “We feel that he is one of our five. We like the balance that he brings and his ability to score.”

Young also said Jeter’s spark off the bench keeps Pitt’s energy levels consistent.

“The points came, I started off hot and Sheldon came off the bench hot,” Young said. “We didn’t come into the game thinking we were going to score as much as we did.”

With each averaging at least nine points and 18 minutes per game, Dixon’s offense — the 12th highest scoring in the NCAA — has continuity and flow, as at least one of those key players will always spur the attack.

Young said a road win is always important, and if Pitt can grab another win at Louisville Thursday, it will come back to the Petersen Events Center at 4-0 in the conference.

“You always want to come out and hit first because you don’t have your fans,” Young said. “You want to hit first instead of getting hit.”