Pitt graduates after 2021 commencement at Acrisure Stadium.
Pitt holding spring commencement April 28
7:05 am
Counterpoint | The City Game is pointless
By Jermaine Sykes, Assistant Sports Editor • March 27, 2024

7:05 am

Pitt adds third day to spring 2016 career fair

Armed with their resumés and best business attire, Pitt students will mingle with potential employers for an extra day at this year’s spring career fair this month.

Pitt’s Office of Career Development and Placement Assistance will host its Spring 2016 Career Fair Feb. 17-19, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the William Pitt Union. Because of an increase in demand from science, technology, engineering and math employers, CDPA has expanded the fair to three days instead of two.

Students can register online beforehand to speed up check-in, or they can register the day of the fair.

Joel Anne Sweithelm said CDPA hopes to draw at least 2,000 students to the William Pitt Union to meet with more than 200 employers — similar to the fair’s draw in previous years.

The first two days of the fair, Wednesday Feb. 17, and Thursday Feb. 18, will feature employers from the science, technology, engineering and math majors, including Amtrak, Mylan and Thermo Fisher Scientific.

The third day of the fair, Friday Feb. 19, will feature employers from the business, humanities and social science majors, including UPMC, Yelp and the Peace Corps.

Regardless of their major, all students can attend all three days of the fair, said Cheryl Finlay, the director of CDPA.

Based on feedback from students who attended the Fall 2015 Career Fair, CDPA launched a campaign several weeks before the Fair to squash worries and misconceptions — such as students not feeling like the fair will help them get hired. CDPA also offers its “career closet” to students who need professional clothes to wear to meet recruiters.

In response to such concerns, Finlay advised students to attend the fair anyway and said that networking with company representatives can pay off in the future.

“By making a positive, lasting impression with a career fair recruiter, you have a better chance of that recruiter remembering you when you apply for the position,” Finlay said in a statement.

CDPA will also update its mobile application that helps students find specific employers at the fair. The app features a map of the employers’ booths, a schedule of events and a list of all companies that will attend the fair.

Finlay said the fair is important for first-year students and alumni, not just juniors and seniors preparing to enter the job market.

“It’s a great opportunity for all students to practice approaching an employer at a career fair, talk about their career goals and learn about the different types of internship and career opportunities that are available,” Finlay said.