Kamalani Akeo talks with members of the womens volleyball coaching staff in 2021.
Kamalani Akeo: An unsung hero contributing to the success of Pitt volleyball
By Matthew Scabilloni, Senior Staff Writer • 10:10 am

Don’t confuse travel for imperialism

“Ellen Page’s Gay Imperialism is Not Activism”

No, that’s not a headline from some sort of neo-masculinity-fueled hate blog. That’s the title of an article written for Harlot Magazine, a self-described “pro-PoC, pro-Black Lives Matter, pro-immigrant, pro-indigenous, pro-queer” online publication that has taken issue with Ellen Page’s documentary on international LGBTQ+ rights.

Page’s documentary, called “Gaycation,” explores what it means to be “lesbian, gay, bi or trans all around the world.” Harlot emphasizes how this is just another instance of “white supremacy settler colonialism” disguised as human rights to narrate and justify the imperial enterprise that has been a repeated and long-standing tradition.

Harlot goes on to explain that Ellen’s journey to explore what it means to be lesbian, gay, bi or trans is a journey to “impose what it means” in order to affirm a more “palpable political ordering.” The article further suggests that her trip is completely distasteful and an exemplification of privilege and modern imperialism.

This is a small microcosm of a growing mindset in progressive movements opposing members of western civilizations indulging in exotic, foreign cultures. What these people don’t seem to understand is that globalization and foreign travel are some of the most powerful ways to open minds and form deeper connections with cultures other than one’s own.

The article in question justifies the open hostility to the documentary by stating that “access to transnational mobility by white (able) bodies relies on the detainment, delimitation and ejection of minoritized populations.”

Its other arguments aside, the article is inherently wrong in its claim that embarking on global missions and traveling abroad as a white, cis-gendered person is central to white supremacy and settler colonialism today. The picture used of Ellen Page and her friend in Japan is extremely relevant, as the Japanese are far more known for their international vacations than Americans who are stereotyped as isolated to our continent.

It’s interesting to observe two different fronts of the progressive movement, LGBTQ+ rights and cultural awareness, colliding and finding conflict where there should be none. The entire spectacle ends up as a self-cannibalization of the movement.

Harlot is not alone in its assertions about the west’s modern-day role in colonization via travel. Jezebel, the feminist news and opinion blog, has gone so far as to compare the expansion of British fashion designers to foreign fashion meccas to colonization.

“Imperialism” is the new buzzword, replacing  “cultural appropriation.” To me, it’s baffling that anyone who claims to fight for diversity and racial relations would stand against international travel and globalization. The compartmentalization of cultures and building of walls between nations is exactly what egalitarians should stand against, not for.

Anti-travel sentiments can also have devastating effects on a country’s economy. No matter how obnoxious a foreigner is, they are going to be spending money at their destination, probably a lot of it.

Egypt has historically relied on tourism for a significant part of its economic stability. The country has such a rich culture, past and present, that people from all over the world flock to the country to see the sights. According to the World Travel and Tourism Council Data, Egypt’s tourism industry contributed 14.8 percent of the national gross domestic product.

But back in October of last year, a Russian plane came down over Egypt, an incident that immediately raised eyebrows about security in air travel, and the country’s tourism industry plummeted to a 10-year low.

Amani El-Torgoman, board member of the Egyptian Tourism Federation, called the situation “devastating,” and today Egypt is the 43rd country on the list of countries that have the largest tourism industry, falling from spot 28 in 2005.

According to a study conducted by Matthew J. Stone and James  F. Petrick of Texas A&M University, traveling resulted in personal growth, increase in life skills and knowledge. Travel to exotic places also exposes us to different cultures that could help shape our receptiveness to different perspectives, experiences and religions.

In the confines of our nation, we are often isolated to the degree that we can’t experience the multiple dimensions of cultures that exist beyond our borders, and even within our country. Not only does travel provide this insight, but it fosters a sense of respect for cultures unlike our own.

While Harlot may suggest that when we do travel, we place a western narrative, are we better off not experiencing the sights and personalities of other cultures?

The media and books won’t expose us to the realities of other countries. They won’t allow us to explore the realities quite like actually going abroad does. Our “western narrative” may not account for the actual experiences of the inhabitants of those places, but we still get the chance to look through a lens not completely shrouded with our everyday perceptions of American life, and in this process, we can then shed our preconceptions.

Travel is important for both the individual seeking to broaden their horizons and countries who rely on tourists’ money for financial security. There are few other ways to learn more about other cultures than by delving into them yourself.

The worst thing we can do to further cross-cultural relationships is to be afraid of new experiences and people.

Hop on a plane, walk around the world and don’t let anyone try and tell you it’s wrong.

Timothy primarily writes on free speech and media culture for The Pitt News.

Write to him at [email protected]