Kristan Hawkins speaks at the Turning Point USA event on Wednesday evening in the OHara Student Center.
By Emma Hannan and Kyra McCague April 19, 2024

Pitt students in Brussels unharmed following terrorist attacks

TNS
TNS

Two Pitt students studying abroad in Brussels, Belgium, are unharmed after a series of terrorist attacks on Tuesday, the University Study Abroad Office confirmed.

Between 3 and 4 a.m. Eastern time and 8 and 9 a.m. local time, bombs exploded in the Brussels Airport and the Maelbeek subway station near the center of the city, killing more than 30 people and wounding more than 190, the Associated Press reported.

Vanessa Sterling, the Study Abroad Office’s associate director, did not name the two students and said Pitt did not plan to bring the students’ back to campus.

Sterling said limiting the students’ travel plans within the country in response to the attacks “is an option” but the office has not decided yet if changes were necessary.

The Associated Press reported Tuesday afternoon that the terrorist group ISIS had claimed responsibility for the attacks.

Brussels, Belgium’s capital, is also the seat of the European Union and has served as a center of intelligence for the investigation into November’s terrorist attacks in Paris, France.

As of Tuesday afternoon, much of Brussels was on lockdown, and police there were seeking suspects, according to the Associated Press.