People sit inside of Redhawk Coffee on Meyran Avenue.

James Conner throws out the first pitch at Pirates opener

James Conner, seen here after throwing out the first pitch for the Pittsburgh Pirates on Opening Day, is officially cancer free. Photo courtesy of Pete Madia

With his chemotherapy treatment winding down and a promising outlook in his fight against cancer, James Conner had some time for fun and games Sunday.

Pitt’s star running back, who announced his diagnosis of Hodgkin lymphoma in December, threw the honorary first pitch at the Pittsburgh Pirates’ season opener Sunday at PNC Park.

“I was all for it,” Conner said of the opportunity. “It was just like, ‘Wow, they really want you.’ I know this type of thing doesn’t happen to just anybody, so it’s a real honor.”

Pirates broadcaster Greg Brown, who emceed the team’s Opening Day ceremonies, introduced Conner.

“Today, we aren’t honoring James Conner for his play on the field,” Brown said. “We are honoring him for being a role model for so many.”

Brown announced that the Pirates Charities organization issued a $5,000 donation to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in Conner’s name and referenced a statement the running back made when he announced his diagnosis.

“To quote James, ‘Fear is a choice, I choose not to fear cancer. I choose to fight, and I will win,’” Brown said.

Conner’s pitch bounced in the dirt in front of Pirates’ catcher Chris Stewart, but he still earned a rousing ovation from the packed PNC Park crowd.

Later, Conner jokingly tweeted, “S/o to all the Pitchers out there for what y’all do! It’s a lot farther than it looks lol.”

Conner has completed nine of his 12 chemotherapy treatments — his next one is scheduled for April 11, and his final session is set for May 9.

After that final treatment, Conner said he will undergo a PET scan, which he hopes will show that he is cancer-free. .

“Hopefully all this will just be a distant memory,” Conner said.

Conner said he is breathing and sleeping better now than when he first started treatment. He said his desire to return to the football field helps quiet the lingering side effects from chemotherapy.

“We’ve got a season coming up, so I don’t have time really [to feel the side effects],” Conner said. “I know my teammates need me, and sitting out last year was one of the worst things ever, just watching.”

As for Pitt’s upcoming 2016 season, Conner said he won’t spend another game watching. .

“The first game is Sept. 3,” Conner said. “And all I know is I’m going to be ready by then.”