Sushi Fuku to open tea shop in Sennott Square

Rather than try to compete with other Asian restaurants in Oakland, Sushi Fuku owner Ting Yen has his eyes set on another establishment — Starbucks.

Before the fall term starts in late August, Yen will open a sister restaurant, Fuku Tea, in Sennott Square, on the corner of Forbes and Oakland Avenues. Yen’s plan for the restaurant began eight months ago, he said. J. Francis Company, a local general contractor, started renovations for the restaurant earlier this week. Yen said he is redesigning the interior and doesn’t plan to complete construction until August. Fuku Tea has not yet received a health permit.

Touch of Gold and Silver, a jewelry store, previously occupied the space in Sennott Square that Fuku Tea will fill.

With Fuku Tea, Yen plans to offer a new kind of beverage experience. His goal is to offer premium tea quickly, just as Starbucks offers premium coffee.

“Right now if you want a cup of coffee, there are a lot of places to go,” Yen said. “But if you want tea, you have to go home.”

The new restaurant will offer hot, iced and bubble teas made on the spot, using a machine similar to a French press. The machine mixes tea leaves with steam and boiling water in a vacuum-sealed container.

Yen said Fuku Tea won’t stop at traditional tea — the new establishment will also offer bubble teas of different flavors. Although the restaurant will primarily serve beverages, it will also sell bakery items sourced from a local shop, though Yen could not yet say which one.

In addition to indoor seating, Yen said he plans to eventually add outdoor seating.

“We’re trying to create the same environment as Sushi Fuku,” Yen said. “A clean, enjoyable environment to enjoy a cup of tea.”