Second film in ‘Hunger Games’ series lives up to expectations

The odds were definitely in favor of “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire,” and the film proves to be exactly what was expected as the second installment of the best-selling franchise.

In this film, Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson) are still recovering a year after their fight to the death in the last annual Hunger Games. As the members of the Capitol watch their every move, anything they say or do could result in rebellion. Chaos ensues in the twelve districts of Panem, and when President Snow tells Katniss to either quell the districts on their “Victory Tour” or face the consequences, Katniss must do everything she can to save her friends and family. But a spark has already ignited, and there’s little she can do to stop it. Thus begin the 75th Hunger Games.

Based on the second novel in the best-selling “Hunger Games” trilogy by Suzanne Collins, the film faithfully adheres to the novel and incorporates the best ideas from it, while also creating brilliantly stunning scenes that could only be possible on film.

Lawrence and Hutcherson also deliver with almost perfect performances as the pretend star-crossed lovers who must once again face a live-or-die situation when they are entered into the 75th Hunger Games. This time around, old victors from past games are called on to fight to the death against each other. Sam Claflin, Jena Malone and Philip Seymour Hoffman join the cast alongside stars such as Woody Harrelson, Donald Sutherland and Elizabeth Banks.

While it could easily have been the filler film in the series, “Catching Fire” does more than just fill in. It expands on themes that the first film touched upon, and it presents them without being obvious. What does a futuristic vision of our world say about the world we live in now? And how can people live in ignorant bliss when others are starving on the other side of the country? It creates a frightening picture, and one that is far too easy to imagine.

While these underlying themes are present in the dialogue and tone, the film has style, as well. From the absurdly hideous costumes of the members of the Capitol, to the starving, desolate landscapes of the districts, the stark contrast between them makes the themes ever more present.

The film starts off slow but makes up for it later with tons of action, astonishing visuals and a dramatic finale. At a rather long two hours and 26 minutes, the film’s relentless pacing and abrupt ending make it feel far shorter.

“The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” definitely lives up to the hype from fans and critics. If the first two films are any indication of the epic atmosphere this series can bring to the big screen, then the third film will surely be worth the wait.