Pittsburgh’s LGBT film festival and more in the weekly rundown

By John Lavanga / A&E Editor

Wednesday, Oct. 9

“The Pigeoning”

Through Oct. 12

937 Liberty Ave., Cultural District

Showtimes vary

Admission: $25

A part of the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust’s Festival of Firsts, “The Pigeoning” is both a lighthearted and metaphysically disturbing show. Making use of bunraku puppets — a traditional style of Japanese puppet theatre — the play tells the tale of Frank, an office worker in the 1980s, and his daily struggles with filthy pigeons who seem bent on ruining his life. As the play progresses and the avian altercations heighten in intensity, Frank begins to wonder if the pigeons don’t have bigger plans for him. Though tickets are currently difficult to come by, the show promises to be a strange blur of theatrical styles this city has never seen.

Terrance Hayes and Saeed Jones presented by HEArt

New Hazlett Theater

6 Allegheny Square East, North Side

7:30 p.m.

Admisson: $10

Human Equity Through Art (HEArt) is an organization dedicated to exhibiting the ways that art can be used to promote the cause of social justice each and every day. On Wednesday night, they’re promoting this cause with performances by two poets who encapsulate this message. Pitt visiting professor Terrance Hayes’ clever, vivid, conversational poetry delves into issues of inequality with honest eyes. Saeed Jones, who edits Buzzfeed LGBT, writes poetry that can capture an immensity of emotion in the course of a couple of words. The combination will make for a performance well worth traveling to the North Side to see.

Thursday, Oct. 10

Earl Sweatshirt

Mr. Small’s Theatre

400 Lincoln Ave., Millvale

8 p.m.

Admission: $20

Though Tyler, the Creator, is likely the most notorious member of Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All, 19-year-old Earl Sweatshirt has proven to be the most talented rapper in the controversial collective. After being sent to a Samoan boarding school following the release of his EP Earl, Sweatshirt announced his return to the United States and the hip-hop world with his 2013 release, Doris. It’s a dark, textured record full of abstract rhymes that captured the attention of hip-hop listeners worldwide.

Friday, Oct. 11

ReelQ: Pittsburgh LGBT Film Festival

Through Oct. 19

Harris Theater

809 Liberty Ave., Cultural District

Prices vary

Since 1982, when it was called the Pittsburgh Lesbian and Gay film series, the ReelQ film festival has been an annual event in Pittsburgh. The film festival celebrates art from the LGBT community and promotes discussion of LGBT issues. To reflect a broader vision for the festival, it was rebranded as ReelQ in 2012. Featuring 18 films about LGBT stories from around the globe, the 2013 edition of the festival looks to be another success.