UPDATED: SGB member, band member coronated for Homecoming

By Em Maier / Assistant News Editor

Amelia Brause didn’t know what to do after she became Pitt’s reigning queen. 

She didn’t know where to go, either. 

“It was really hard to find anyone afterwards,” she said. “We weren’t sure where to go or what was supposed to happen.”

Nevertheless, the 45 texts she received from her Alpha Delta Pi sorority sisters expressed the excitement they felt because she was crowned. 

At halftime of the Saturday football game against the University of Virginia, the Homecoming King and Queen were announced: Seniors Zach Greenfield and Amelia Brause. 

Senior Joe Kozak, a physics engineering major and president of the Blue & Gold Society, thought the event “went well for the most part.” 

Brause, a neuroscience major from Scotch Plains, N.J., had plenty of experience with Pitt’s campus and traditions. She works on the Student Government Board and serves as the undergraduate representative for the Chancellor Search Committee, which enabled her to meet and interact with a significant number of students throughout her campaign. 

“I was very surprised. I truly didn’t think I’d win. I owe all of my success or glory to those who helped me,” Brause said, citing her sorority, Her Campus, Colleges Against Cancer and Take Back the Tap as a few of her supporters. 

Greenfield, a member of Pitt Band, hadn’t been expecting the win. 

“I was extremely excited, and I’m glad that it happened. I got congratulatory hugs from by friends and the rest of the court, which was really great,” Greenfield said. 

The tradition of homecoming court is part of school spirit and pride, Kozak said.  

“We have people involved in all different facets, so this is another outlet for people to get to know Pitt. If a guest comes, they’ll be able to say, ‘Oh, that’s the King and the Queen’ and realize that they have a lot of spirit and embody what Pitt represents. It’s just another way for people to get out there and represent the University in another way,” Kozak said. 

Greenfield agreed. 

“It’s a reminder to hold yourself with pride and to do things the right way. I’m going to continue to strive in everything I do,” Greenfield said. 

While the king and queen do have certain responsibilities, such as attending Pitt Make a Difference Day, Brouse is determined to return the support to those who campaigned for her regency. 

“I’m going to get more into these clubs. I want to help promote these great causes and make more people aware of them,” Brause said.

Updated: This article has been updated from its original version. At time of publication, Zach Greenfield could not be reached for comment. His comments were added to the story.