Handmade Arcade keeps things crafty

By Natalie Bell

‘ ‘ ‘ Craft enthusiasts will have an oppurtunity to stock up on handmade indie goods in… ‘ ‘ ‘ Craft enthusiasts will have an oppurtunity to stock up on handmade indie goods in Shadyside all weekend. ‘ ‘ ‘ Handmade Arcade is an indie craft fair that will be a two-day event in Shadyside this weekend, where quirky crafters will show off and sell their unique crafts. ‘ ‘ ‘ Whether it’s a lamp made of cocktail umbrellas, a journal made of records or a clock made of bike chains, the Handmade Arcade is probably the best place to find it. ‘ ‘ ‘ Since it started in 2003, Handmade Arcade has been quickly growing, nearly tripling in size over the past five years. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We wanted to create a marketplace that wasn’t served by the traditional arts fairs. We wanted to have a place where you could find things made from reconstructed items, vintage items, house wares, anything from $1 to $100,’ said Jennifer Baron, a crafter and organizer. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We found that what a lot of us were doing was that we were making crafts in our homes or home studios, then we were traveling around. We really want to put Pittsburgh on the indie craft scene map, which we have done over the past five years,’ said Baron. ‘ ‘ ‘ Pieces in the past have ranged from couch foam dogs to snow globes made from found objects and a variety of other repurposed materials. ‘ ‘ ‘ The fair will be moved from its previous location at Construction Junction to the Historic Hunt Armory in Shadyside to encourage the use of public transportation.’ They’ll also provide bicycle parking for crafters and shoppers commuting on two wheels. ‘ ‘ ‘ Excited craft enthusiasts can purchase an early bird pass that will allow them to shop before the crowds arrive.