Panthers will cover the spread over the Texas Aggies

By Milo's Moneymaker

Milo took a little bit of a hit last week, going 2-3; it’s not the best way to start the… Milo took a little bit of a hit last week, going 2-3; it’s not the best way to start the season. Speaking of last week, when was the last time Bobby Bowden and Florida State did not run it up? Last week apparently, and if only the Panthers’ offense didn’t pack it in last week in the second half, Milo would have had a much better Saturday. Nevertheless, Milo must come back and get that record over – excuse me, well over – .500.

Saturday

Texas A’M at Pitt (+3.5)

What started off as a promising easy victory against Ohio last week with a 20-0 halftime lead, turned out badly. By failing to cover last week, the Panthers broke their six-game against-the-spread winning streak. Texas A’M, much like the Panthers, were not as impressive against a lower-tier opponent. Louisiana-Lafayette never really made it a game but was good with the points. It is fair to A’M to mention that they fumbled twice inside the 10-yard line, including once inside the one.

A’M has not played well on the road the past three seasons, going an anemic 5-12-1 against the spread during that stretch. However, last year the Aggies went 1-1 as road favorites against the spread, as they are in this game.

Last year, the Panthers went 4-3 as an underdog against the spread, and included in that was a 2-1 record as an underdog at home.

Last week Pitt seemed to hold back the offense and not show too much for the Aggies to get a look at. Quarterback Rod Rutherford will have his breakout game against a tough “wrecking crew” defense, as the Panthers’ offensive line will have a much better game. If running back Brandon Miree continues to emerge as the No. 1 back, the Aggies’ defense will have a tough time stopping him.

The Panthers’ defense will have to keep Aggie quarterback Mark Farris at bay, while stopping the A’M running attack, which the stingy Panthers will do. The Panthers will get on the map with this win and earn a ranking in the top 25.

Pitt 24, Texas A’M 17

Alabama at Oklahoma (-13.5)

Last week, 36-point favorite Oklahoma squeaked by Tulsa, 37-0. Alabama struggled, on the other hand, but still was victorious over Middle Tennessee State. In the last decade, Alabama has been 8-1 when they were underdogs of three points or more; the only exception was during the 2000 campaign where the team went 3-8.

Oklahoma has only a .500 record against the spread since the resurgence of the Sooners under Bob Stoops. Those numbers are a little surprising considering this team went undefeated and won a national title only two years ago. In the last two years the Sooners are just 4-8 against the spread.

Last year Alabama was 1-3 against the spread versus non-Southeastern Conference opponents, with the only win coming over Southern Mississippi. Although the Crimson Tide have continued to roll and get their program back on track, the crew from Norman has just too much offensively and will not yield any big plays or yards defensively.

Oklahoma 27, Alabama 3

Kent State at Ohio State (-28.5)

Two weeks ago, Ohio State debuted its newest stud running back Maurice Clarett, who as an 18-year-old freshman, ran for 175 yards and three scores. After easily disposing of Texas Tech, the Buckeyes set their sights on in-state opponent Kent State.

The Golden Flashes last year went 8-2 against the spread and have been 6-2 against the spread as a 25 or more point underdog. Not to mention, the Flashes were 8-4 on the road against the spread for the last two years.

With all the prior history seeming to go the way of Kent State, Milo should pick them, right? Wrong. Ohio State is primed and ready to make a run at the Rose Bowl, and head coach Jim Tressel will have his team focused and not looking ahead to their matchup with Jason Guesser and Washington State next week. Of course, having a stud running back helps too.

Ohio State 45, Kent State 6

Rice at Michigan State (-25)

Michigan State rolled all over Eastern Michigan last week and should have no problem doing the same against Rice. For the Owls, this is their game of the year, and the biggest and toughest opponent they will face all year long.

Until last week, Michigan State had been 0-3 against the spread as a double-digit favorite.

Michigan State’s offense took a bit of a hit losing T.J. Duckett to the National Football League, but quarterback Jeff Smoker remains with talented (and tall) Charlie Rogers, who stands at 6 feet 5 inches. Those two players alone are too much for the Owls, and the Spartans will not only win, but cover.

Michigan State 45, Rice 11

Middle Tennessee State at Tennessee (-22)

Tennessee will continue to play without leading receiver Kelly Washington, who is still trying to recover from a knee injury. Washington’s absence was not a factor last week against Wyoming and will continue to not matter.

Last year Middle Tennessee State was 2-1 against the spread as a road underdog and was good with the points last week in Alabama.

Quarterback Casey Clausen continues to impress and lead the Vols into the end zone and will need to do that several times Saturday in Knoxville. Middle Tennessee State can score and has in the past, scoring over 37 points six times last year. Those big numbers came against weaker teams and not in front a sea of humanity in orange and white. The Vols will roll again this week and not look ahead to their matchup in two weeks with Florida.

Tennessee 51, Middle Tennessee State 21

Matt Miloszewski is a columnist for The Pitt News and hopes every favorite runs up the score so he can make up for last week.