Op-ed and letter to the editor submission

Interested in voicing your opinion about an issue on campus or responding to content in The Pitt News? Read our house guidelines and tips before submitting an op-ed or letter to the editor here. Submission form is located at the bottom of the page.

What's an Op-Ed?

Many forms of writing can be considered op-eds, including explanatory essays, commentary, reflections on cultural or political trends and more. These are general commentary about issues or events in the news, not in response to content published in a specific publication like The Pitt News.

How do I submit one to The Pitt News?

The Pitt News welcomes op-eds on topics relevant to the Pitt community for print and/or online. We prefer timely, fact-based pieces that focus on campus happenings and initiatives but will also consider submissions on more general subjects. We rarely accept op-eds from PR-type organizations. Submissions should be no more than 600 words. All submissions should be original — we do not accept content that has already been published elsewhere. Please make sure to cite sources for any assertions in your essay — op-eds should not contain any libelous, unverified claims. Authors cannot be anonymous or submit under a pseudonym. If you do not hear back from us after one week, feel free to offer your op-ed elsewhere.

Resources

What's a letter to the editor?

Letters to the Editor typically respond to editorial content published in The Pitt News. For example, letter writers might reflect on an issue, event or decision our news desk wrote about, or respond to an argument presented by a Pitt News columnist or the editorial board. Letters to the Editor are a written way of talking to our publication or creating dialogue around the news.

How do I submit one to The Pitt News?

Letters should be exclusive to content published in The Pitt News and can be from any viewpoint. Submissions should be between 150 to 250 words and consist of a strong but civil response to an article or column that appeared in the last 14 days. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified within a week. Letters may be edited for grammar or space.

Resources

Complete the form below to submit: