Frontiers exhibit on Pitt’s campus open to the public

President Barack Obama will be speaking in Pittsburgh Thursday as part of the Frontiers Conference. | Terrence Antonio James, TNS

TNS

TNS

By Emily Brindley / Assistant News Editor

Although President Barack Obama will be visiting Pittsburgh to speak at the White House Frontiers Conference, most Pittsburghers won’t be able to see him.

There is, though, one Frontiers exhibit open to the public with no registration needed, Pitt said on Tuesday. It will be open on Oct. 13 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. on the first floor of Alumni Hall and highlight the conference’s five main “frontiers”: personal, local, national, global and interplanetary.

Frontiers, also co-hosted by Pitt and Carnegie Mellon University, will take place throughout the day on Thursday and include presentations and discussions about science, technology and innovation. Lectures and panels will delve into precision medicine, artificial intelligence, “smart” communities and space exploration. The event follows Obama’s announcement on Tuesday that U.S. astronauts will land on Mars by 2030.

Along with Obama, speakers at the various conference events include Pitt Chancellor Patrick Gallagher, CMU President Subra Suresh, NASA Deputy Administrator Dava Newman and Fitbit CEO James Park as well as several student speakers.

For a full list of the Frontiers exhibits and events, visit The Pitt News website.