Stephany Andrade poses for a photo while reading a book.
By Thomas Riley, Opinions Editor • 5:31 pm

Parker Stewart announces decision to transfer

Thomas J. Yang
First-year guard Parker Stewart became the first Pitt player to request his release from the program following the firing of head coach Kevin Stallings.

First-year Pitt guard Parker Stewart announced via Twitter on Friday that he will be transferring from the Pitt basketball program.

Stewart — who was also the first Pitt player to request his release from the program after the firing of former head coach Kevin Stallings — is the only player of the nine that requested their releases to announce his intent to transfer so far.

Three of those players — junior guard/forward Jared Wilson-Frame, first-year forward Shamiel Stevenson and first-year guard Khameron Davis — have all announced that they will be returning to the program next year.

In his statement on Twitter, Stewart offered support for his teammates and was complimentary of new Pitt head coach Jeff Capel.

“After weighing my options after the coaching change, I have decided that I will transfer from Pitt,” Stewart said. “I wish my teammates the best of luck and I will always support them. Also, I think Coach Capel is a great coach and will lead them down the right path. Thanks for everything.”

With Stewart’s departure, the Panthers lose their best 3-point shooter from last year. Stewart was first in 3-point shooting percentage among players that played in at least 20 games last year, shooting 36.8 percent from three.

To go along with his 3-point shooting, Stewart averaged 9.1 points and 0.9 assists per game for the Panthers.

There are still five players yet to decide if they will be transferring or returning to the program next season, including first-year guard Marcus Carr, senior forward Ryan Luther, first-year center Terrell Brown, first-year forward Kene Chukwuka and junior guard Malik Ellison.