Editorial: Extending library hours isn’t worthwhile

By Staff Editorial

Pitt students fall into two categories: those who frequently pull all-nighters and those who don’t. For those who do, it’s sometimes hard to find a place to study when roommates want to sleep.

According to an Oct. 4 story in The Pitt News, the Student Government Board’s initiative to extend library hours to a 24/7 schedule has been put on hold. According to library administration, during a month-long trial period held in 2011, during which the library operated on an extended schedule, the library was not used much during the extended hours. The library has also cited financial reasons to not change hours. According to the article, the library would have to hire three additional employees, and it does not have the funding to do so. However, SGB is still pushing to change the library’s hours, as well as considering extending the hours of the Union so it can be used as a study space.

While a nice amenity, we don’t think that a 24/7 library is necessary at Pitt. Having a library that is open until 2 a.m. is already operating under “extended” hours compared to how the rest of the world works: By comparison, the main branch of Carnegie Library in Oakland closes at 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday.

It’s also important to consider the financial issues with extending the library’s hours. According to The Pitt News article, extending hours would cost an additional $150,000 per year, and the library does not currently have the funding to do this. We don’t think that the high cost of extending the library’s hours is worth it, considering that relatively few students used the library past 2 a.m. during average weeks during the trial period. The library already operates on an extended schedule during finals week, when students most need to use the library late at night.

We understand the need for places to study late at night when midterms or paper deadlines roll around, but the University already provides some 24/7 study spaces. The Cathedral of Learning is accessible through a side door late at night, and the computer lab in David Lawrence is open 24/7. The Cathedral’s gothic architecture seems a little spooky at night and David Lawrence is grim compared to Hillman’s spaciousness, bright lights and comfy couches, but these spaces are at least available for those who need to work and don’t want to bother roommates.

Additionally, we don’t think that the ability to check out books from the library very late at night is necessary. If students need books to complete assignments, they can plan to check them out prior to 2 a.m. Plus, online resources (like e-books and full-text articles) are available at any time of day to anyone who goes to Pitt. Another 24/7 online resource that exists for Pennsylvania residents is the Ask Here PA live chat service. If you need help finding some type of academic source late at night, you can live chat with a librarian who will help you find it.