Pitt announces pop-up grocery store

Pitt will open a pop-up grocery store in the old New Balance storefront at 3810 Forbes Ave. on Sept. 24.

Anna Bongardino | Visual Editor

Anna Bongardino | Visual Editor

By Hannah Schneider, Assistant News Editor

The University of Pittsburgh will open a pop-up grocery store Monday, Sept. 24, according to an email from Panther Central sent Thursday evening.

The pop-up will be open seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. It will be housed in the former New Balance storefront at 3810 Forbes Ave.

The temporary location precedes the Forbes Street Market, a permanent University-owned grocery store set to open Nov. 1 on Forbes Ave beneath Brackenridge Hall.  

“In the meantime, Sodexo and the University have created a temporary pop-up store to provide you with grocery essentials,” the email said.

The University has been contacted for comment.

This story will be updated.

About the Writer
Hannah Schneider, Assistant News Editor

Hannah Schneider is an assistant news editor at The Pitt News. She will graduate in April 2019 with degrees in Nonfiction English Writing and Gender, Sexuality and Women’s Studies, as well as minors in Legal Studies and Music. Schneider joined The Pitt News in November 2017 as a news writer before serving as sports editor during the 2018 summer semester. Aside from writing for the newspaper and being a full-time student, Schneider has been a full-time performer with two performing arts ensembles from 2015 to 2018 — Matrix Performing Arts from Akron, Ohio, and The Phantom Regiment from Rockford, Illinois. She is from Warrington, Pennsylvania. Schneider plans to pursue a career in journalism or administrative law after graduating.

Pitt announces pop-up grocery store