In job applications, grammar is a factor

By Editorial

Iff this sentance, looks correct­ to u, than u might have troubel applying for…Iff this sentance, looks correct­ to u, than u might have troubel applying for jobs.

Recently, the CEO of online repair manual iFixit wrote in the Harvard Business Review about giving a grammar test to everyone who applies for a job at his companies. With the exception of second-language English speakers and those with dyslexia, not only the writers, but also salespeople and programmers, must take the test. He stated that he does not hire otherwise competent would-be employees who do not pass the grammar test.

Although we believe that requiring a grammar test for all employees, even those who do not have to write as a part of their job description, is a bit extreme, we think that demonstrating clear and concise grammar — for example, in a resumé and cover letter when applying for a job — shows professionalism and attention to detail, which are desirable qualities in any job applicant.

We do not think that everyone applying for a job should be judged based on their ability to write a cover letter in a highly elegant style with an extensive range of vocabulary. The most important litmus test should not be grammar for its own sake, but for the overall clarity of a written piece.

Additionally, it is necessary for almost everyone to correspond in written form, such as through emails, letters and memos, and it’s important that everyone be able to record ideas and information in a way that is easily understood.

While it is tempting to say that people should be allowed to write in a way that comes naturally or that allows them to express themselves, it’s important to remember the goal of writing professionally. In most professional contexts, writing is not used as a mode of self-expression, but as a tool for communication. The ability to communicate effectively is a trait that many employers actively seek.

In an ideal society, a grammar test such as the one at iFixit would not be necessary, because everyone would receive the education necessary to write well in a professional context. We believe that high-school and college educators, who are responsible for teaching students many skills necessary to get by in the job market, should actively and consistently mentor students in writing well. Basic English classes should be as writing intensive as possible to give students persuasive writing skills, analytically and professionally. Also, while it is often easy to look past students’ imperfect writing style in favor of the content of their writing, teachers and professors should emphasize the importance of written clarity and accuracy. One day, these students’ careers might depend on it.