Football: Coach Chryst awards walk-ons with scholarships, cornerback transfers

By RJ Sepich

With the conclusion of Pitt’s demanding training camp, head coach Paul Chryst awarded four of…With the conclusion of Pitt’s demanding training camp, head coach Paul Chryst awarded four of his less-heralded players for their hard work with some very good news.

Chryst announced that he had told walk-ons redshirt sophomore fullback Mark Giubilato, redshirt junior punter Matt Yoklic, redshirt junior long snapper Kevin Barthelemy and freshman wide receiver Chris Wuestner that they were all being added to the team’s scholarship list.

“They’ve all, obviously, in their own way, earned it,” Chryst said.

The first-year head coach also said that when the other scholarship players on the team heard the news, they were truly excited for the four recipients.

“I think what’s neat about the deal was the responses from the other guys ­— it was genuine. It was a pretty good moment,” Chryst said.

The awarded players, too, expressed their happiness.

Yoklic said that he and Barthelemy had previously discussed their common goal: earning a scholarship.

“I know me and Kevin, we talked a lot and just tried to stay positive,” he said. “If we kept doing well, we’d get our break, and we finally got a scholarship now.”

Barthelemy said it was something that he’s been thinking about for a long time.

“Growing up, it’s always been a dream to play here,” the long snapper said. “Even just the opportunity to walk on was pretty cool. Now, to earn a scholarship, it’s a lot better.”

Wuestner, a Carlisle, Pa., native who was extremely low on the wide receiver depth chart entering camp, started getting more repetitions as camp went on. He made the most of those opportunities, grabbing the attention of coaches with a few spectacular catches.

“It’s crazy how a few guys go down, and they call your name, and you had to know plays,” he said. “You just go out there and try to work hard, learn the offense and do what you can.”

Chryst also announced that sophomore Lloyd Carrington, who was expected to be a backup cornerback this season after playing in seven games last year, had decided to transfer to an undetermined school closer to his home in Texas.

But Pitt picked up a transfer when Wisconsin wide receiver Manasseh Garner, who played prep football locally at Brashear High School, decided to move closer to home and become a Panther.

Garner will have to sit out this season because of NCAA transfer rules. He will be a senior with one year of eligibility remaining when the 2013 season starts.