Three new trustees nominated to Pitt’s board of trustees

By Gwenn Barney

Pitt’s Board of Trustees Nominating Committee recommended three University alumni for… Pitt’s Board of Trustees Nominating Committee recommended three University alumni for seats on the board Wednesday.According to a press release from Pitt, the committee advanced David Chavern, Brenton Saunders and Jack Smith to be voted on for admission to the body at the full board’s next meeting June 22.

Chavern, a 1983 Pitt graduate, is executive vice president and chief operating officer of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in Washington.

Saunders, who completed his undergraduate degree at Pitt in 1992, is president and CEO of Bausch + Lomb in Rochester, N.Y.

Smith, who finished his medical degree at Pitt in 1973, is the director of Excela Health Orthopedics & Sports Medicine in Greensburg, Pa.

The committee also nominated trustees Eva Tansky Blum, the senior vice president and director of community affairs at PNC Bank, and Morgan K. O’Brien, the president and CEO of Peoples Natural Gas Company LLC, for vice chair positions.

If approved, the two will replace retiring vice chairs Suzanne Broadhurst, the director of corporate giving for Eat’n Park Hospitality Group, and Robert M. Hernandez, the chairman of RTI International Metals Inc. Broadhurst and Hernandez have served as vice chairs since 2003 and 2006, respectively. These nominations will also be voted on at the upcoming full board meeting.