Basketball: Epps to be second transfer of the season

By Isaac Saul

Pitt men’s basketball head coach Jamie Dixon announced the transfer of Isaiah Epps on… Pitt men’s basketball head coach Jamie Dixon announced the transfer of Isaiah Epps on Wednesday.

Epps, a redshirt freshman guard from Plainfield, N.J., is transferring due to family-related reasons, according to the University. Epps spent the season playing behind starting point guard Travon Woodall and backup John Johnson.

“We have been in constant communication with Isaiah regarding his family’s well-being,” Dixon said in a press release. “We believe that it is best for Isaiah to be close to home, and we will assist him in finding the best possible situation to reach his goals — both academically and athletically. He’s a great kid, hard worker and good player. We thank Isaiah for his contribution to our program over the last two years and wish him much success in the future.”

Epps will get a full release from his scholarship. The release is granted by University officials, who have the right to prevent Epps from leaving if they want. Because the release is being made after the season, Epps’ eligibility for next year won’t be affected.

Epps is the second player to transfer from Pitt this year, and the team hasn’t announced where he will end up, although Athletic Department representatives indicated it will be closer to home.

Fortunately, the Panthers already addressed the guard situation for next season. James Robinson, a 6-foot-3 point guard from DeMatha Catholic High School in Hyattsville, Md., is a member of the 2012 recruiting class.

Last season, Epps started in two games and played in 19 for the Panthers, averaging .1 points and .2 rebounds per game.