Die Antwoord proves it can make serious hip-hop

By Patrick Wagner

Die Antwoord should be taken seriously…. Ten$ion

Die Antwoord

Zef Records

Rocks like: Jack Parow, M.I.A., a rave

Grade: B+

Die Antwoord should be taken seriously.

The group has been riding a wave of hype since its YouTube videos exposed the world to the group’s uniquely South African brand of hip-hop in 2009. Although many originally saw frontman Ninja and group members Yo-Landi Vi$$er and DJ Hi-Tek as something of a joke act, they’re anything-but on their very serious sophomore album, Ten$ion.

From the first song, “Never Le Nkemise 1,” there’s a decidedly rave flavor to the music that harnesses synthesizers over samples and even verges on the sonic combustion of dubstep at points.

“I Fink U Freeky” is infectiously funky and fun. Vi$$er delivers a monotone hook over a pumping bass line and decadently distorted synths. “I think you’re freaky and I like you a lot” sounds odd, but with the force of DJ Hi-Tek’s computerized beats and Ninja’s charismatic rhymes, the music is kept from becoming too much.

Ninja, on the other hand, is a hurricane of attitude. On “Hey Sexy,” the emcee’s bravado is placed over an ominous eastern beat as he spits words like a soothsayer.

“I’m so bright my momma called me a sun,” he rhymes with a tone of self-determination, “where I’m from sh*ts f*cked so I bought me a gun.”

Unfortunately, a few of the tracks verge into abstract themes that aren’t complemented by DJ Hi-Tek’s immediate and present style.

“Fok Julle Naaiers,” for example, never seems to hit the speed and intensity Die Antwoord is renowned for. An overabundant use of the hook leaves listeners anticipating something that never seems to arrive.

Despite these blemishes that keep it from perfection, Ten$ion is a testament to the fact that hip-hop from anywhere in the world can be both serious in tone and independent in thought.