Wrestling: Panthers extend winning streak

By Dustin Gabler

The No. 9 Pitt wrestling team extended its winning streak in the Eastern Wrestling League to 16… The No. 9 Pitt wrestling team extended its winning streak in the Eastern Wrestling League to 16 matches on Friday as it easily handled Clarion for a 28-10 victory.

The Panthers — currently sitting in first place in the conference — are 4-0 against EWL opponents this season.

Pitt jumped out to a quick lead against the Golden Eagles, claiming victories in its first four matches.

At 125 pounds, No. 15 Anthony Zanetta started the match with a 12-1 major decision over Trey Hicks, earning four points for Pitt.

With his 12-0 dual record, Zanetta — frequently faced with the responsibility of getting Pitt off to a good start — has given the Panthers the early lead in each match.

“Going out first, I must force myself to set the tone for the other guys and to get the crowd into the match,” Zanetta said.

Pitt didn’t look back as the wrestlers in the next three weight classes cruised to victories.

At 133 pounds, No. 20 Shelton Mack picked up a 6-1 decision, and at 141 pounds, Travis Shaffer got bonus points for the Panthers with a 15-0 technical fall. No. 14 Tyler Nauman won 7-3 at 149 pounds.

Clarion fired back at 157 and 165 pounds with its back-to-back No. 5 wrestlers, James Fleming and Bekzod Abdurakhmonov, defeating Pitt’s Donnie Tasser and No. 32 Tyler Wilps, respectively.

The Panthers got back on track at the 174-pound weight class when P.J. Tasser earned a 7-1 decision. No. 27 Andy Vaughan secured the only pin of the night.

At 197 pounds, No. 4 Matt Wilps earned a major decision over No. 30 Alex Thomas for Pitt’s only win over a ranked opponent in the dual meet.

Wilps — a redshirt junior and the highest ranked wrestler on the team — is having his best season so far as a Panther.

The National Wrestling Coaches Association poll for individuals was released for the first time this season on Jan. 19.

Wilps said he tries to approach each match the same way, but more planning goes into a matchup with a ranked opponent like Thomas.

“I try and keep the same mindset for all of my opponents, ranked or not,” Wilps said. “That said, there is more of a game plan for the higher-ranked opponents.”

The last home match of the season against Edinboro will provide Wilps with one of his biggest tests of the season when he faces No. 1 Chris Honeycutt.

Wilps is 24-2 overall. His two losses came against No. 1 Honeycutt in the season-opening Buffalo Open and to No. 3 Matt Powless of Indiana at the Cliff Keen Invitational in Las Vegas.

Wilps said the Panthers aren’t yet looking ahead to Edinboro on Feb. 17. First, they have two weeks to prepare for their last away dual of the EWL season when they’ll travel to Morgantown to face the Mountaineers.

The wrestlers don’t get much of a break during the two-week matchless stretch as their coaches prepare them for the next series of competitions.

“The guys have done a good job of staying focused,” assistant coach Jason Peters said. “They take each dual one at a time. We need to continue improving wrestling techniques, execute in matches and respect our opponents.”

Pitt will head to West Virginia on Feb. 4 looking improve to 5-0 in the EWL and win its 17th consecutive conference match.

“The team is psyched about the win streak in the EWL,” Wilps said. “It shows our improvement over the years, and we intend to keep the streak going.”

Editor’s note: Donnie Tasser is a staff writer for The Pitt News.