Women’s soccer falls 3-2 on West’s record-breaking night

+First-year+forward+Amanda+West+%289%29+completed+both+of+Pitt%E2%80%99s+goals+during+Thursday+night%E2%80%99s+3-2+loss+to+Wake+Forest.%0A

Hannah Heisler | Senior Staff Photographer

First-year forward Amanda West (9) completed both of Pitt’s goals during Thursday night’s 3-2 loss to Wake Forest.

By Dominic Campbell, Senior Staff Writer

In a back-and forth-game between two closely matched teams, Pitt women’s soccer lost a nail-biter in double overtime, 3-2, against ACC foe Wake Forest in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, Thursday night.

The game saw two lead changes and two ties as both teams turned a dull first half into an action-packed second half that extended into two overtimes. The loss for the Panthers (5-8-3 overall, 2-4-2 ACC) drastically hurts their chances to snag the final eight-seed in the ACC tournament, while the Demon Deacons (6-6-4 overall, 1-4-3 ACC) got their first ACC win of the season.

It wasn’t a total lost cause for the Panthers. With two more goals to her name, first-year forward Amanda West moved into sole possession of the program’s single-season points record with 30.

The first half saw Wake Forest dominate time of possession, controlling the ball for 65% of the clock, while also leading Pitt in shots 9-1. But the Demon Deacons couldn’t convert on any of their chances and the score remained 0-0.

Pitt’s first shot of the night came from first-year forward Rachel Raisins in the 41st minute, but it sailed high and right of the goal. Redshirt junior goalie Amaia Pena was the Panthers’ most active player in the first half, making five saves and keeping the game even.

Despite not seeing many chances, the Panthers scored the first goal of the game in the 52nd minute. First-year midfielder Anna Bout took a shot from just outside the box that curled and hit the top of the bar, bouncing right to West who put it past the keeper.

With that goal, West passed Cande Ruiz’s 28 points for Pitt’s single-season record.

Not long after Pitt scored, Wake Forest responded with their first goal to make it 1-1 in the 56th minute. A good cross from senior Madison Hammond found redshirt junior forward Estelle Laurier, who slotted it past Pena’s right glove.

The Demon Deacons then took the lead on a mistake from the Panthers defending an own goal. Pena came out to make the save on graduate forward Hayley Younginer, but it deflected off senior defender Cheyenne Hudson’s shoulder and went into the open net in the 57th minute.

Wake Forest had another great chance in the 65th minute as Younginer delivered a ground cross to first-year midfielder Grace Jale, who took a powerful shot on goal that Pena pushed out for a corner.

Pitt continued to press in spite of the incessant opposing attack and tied the game in the 74th minute on another goal from West. She delivered a shot from outside the box that was deflected by junior Wake Forest defender Hannah Betfort into the bottom left corner of the net, tying the game 2-2.

That goal moved West into a three-way program tie for most goals in a season at 10. 

After two 45-minute periods, the teams remained locked at 2-2 and entered extra time.

Laurier nearly scored the golden goal in the 101st minute with a long shot, but it was just high and hit the top of the crossbar.

Wake Forest appeared to have the game-winner in the 103rd minute off a goal from redshirt sophomore Hulda Arnarsdottir, but she was called offsides and the game went on.

After just missing a few minutes prior, Laurier ended the game with a hard, high shot that forced Pena to fall back. Her punch wasn’t powerful enough to put the ball over the goal, and it fell into the back of the net.

It was a tough result for Pena, who made a career-high 12 saves and faced an incredible 28 goals, including 15 on goal.

In their next game, the Panthers will hit the road to take on the No. 17 Clemson Tigers on Sunday, Oct. 27, hoping to get a huge win that will help them in their quest to make the ACC tournament.