Board talks elections despite absent, late presidential candidates

By Michael Ringling

In a little more than a week, Pitt’s student body will vote for its next Student Government… In a little more than a week, Pitt’s student body will vote for its next Student Government Board, the governing body in charge of allocating more than $2 million in student activities funds to various student organizations.

Talk of the upcoming Board elections took up much of Tuesday’s SGB meeting in Nordy’s Place that lasted less than a half an hour. Elections Chair Kari Rosenkaimer announced the schedule for the week prior to the election on Nov. 17 to an audience of fewer than 10 listeners and an incomplete Board.

At the beginning of the meeting, President Molly Stieber and six Board members were present. Board members John Hasley and James Landreneau, the two candidates for president in the upcoming SGB election, were absent. Before the meeting, Stieber said that Hasley’s absence was unexcused, and Landreneau’s absence was excused. Hasley came to the meeting later, about five minutes after it began.

According to SGB’s constitution, a Board member may be dismissed from office by a two-thirds majority vote if he or she is absent from four or more public meetings “without excuse or adequate justification.”

Stieber said that what is considered “excused” and “unexcused” is up to her discretion, and that she told the Board members at the beginning of their term that they were allowed four absences. Last week, Hasley was absent from his fifth SGB meeting, and the absence was considered unexcused because he was campaigning, Stieber said.

“If any repercussions are taken, they will be taken by the Board,” Stieber said. “It’s my job to keep track. Its [the Board’s] job to take action.”

Board member Hasley said that he spoke with Stieber after the meeting about the absence, and that she understood because of her presidential campaigning experience.

“I hate to miss these meetings … [but the Board members] all understand campaign season is pretty intense,” Hasley said. “I would like to be there, but I’ve got to get my campaign message out to as many students as possible.”

After four of the seven present Board members gave their reports, Rosenkaimer said that students can vote for members of the 2012 Student Government Board from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Nov. 17. Rosenkaimer said that students can cast their votes either by logging onto my.pitt.edu or by going to various locations scattered around campus. Polls will stay open from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. in Towers Lobby, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Sutherland outside of the Perch, and from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in Market Central.

The first of the “Meet the Candidates” events will kick off Friday at the Perch from 2 p.m. until 4 p.m. On Wednesday, Nov. 16, the candidates will be in Market Central from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. for the second “Meet the Candidates” event.

Hasley and Landreneau will face off at a presidential debate in Nordy’s Place on Tuesday, Nov. 15, at 7:30 p.m. Rosenkaimer and Stieber will host the event, but Rosenkaimer encouraged students to attend, ask questions and facilitate discussion.

While Rosenkaimer said that slates and candidate information will not be provided on my.pitt.edu until Nov. 15, she has created a Facebook page,

“University of Pittsburgh Student Government Election,” where students can view this information.

Allocations

The SGB approved $1,426.74 of a $5,116.14 request from Panther Women’s Rugby in accordance with the Allocations Committee’s recommendation. The committee decided to approve a portion of the costs for the groups participation in their regionals competition, but denied $3,689.40 because the group has already received approximately $5,500 for their competitive season.