Pitt renames School of Arts & Sciences

By Mallory Grossman

Pitt’s School of Arts & Sciences has officially been renamed the Kenneth P. Dietrich… Pitt’s School of Arts & Sciences has officially been renamed the Kenneth P. Dietrich School of Arts & Sciences.

The vote passed at a Board of Trustees meeting on Friday morning to rename the school in honor of donor William S. Dietrich II’s father.

In September, William Dietrich donated $125 million to Pitt — the largest individual gift to the University in its 225-year history, and one of the 10 largest gifts given by an individual to a public university.

In response to the gift, which became operational upon Bill Dietrich’s death on Oct. 6, the Board of Trustees introduced the resolution to rename the University’s School of Arts & Sciences. The school is composed of nearly 50 departments and programs and more than 10,000 undergraduate students. The University has already launched a new website for the renamed school.

Pitt’s school renaming follows CMU’s decision to rename its College of Humanities & Social Sciences after Bill Dietrich’s mother. Dietrich donated $265 million to Carnegie Mellon in early September.

A Pittsburgh native, Bill Dietrich was born in 1938 and received his masters and Ph.D. from Pitt. He turned his family-owned construction business into Dietrich Industries Inc., a large manufacturer of light metal construction framing.

He joined Pitt’s Board of Trustees in 1991 and served as the Board’s chairman from 2001 to 2003.