Additional athletes to return to campus on June 29

Pitt+Athletics+announced+Tuesday+that+five+other+Panther+teams+will+return+on+June+29.+

Kaycee Orwig | Visual Editor

Pitt Athletics announced Tuesday that five other Panther teams will return on June 29.

By Alex Lehmbeck, Senior Staff Writer

Two weeks after Pitt welcomed football players back to campus for a phased return to voluntary offseason activity, Pitt Athletics announced Tuesday that five other Panther teams will return on June 29 for a similar process.

The Pitt men’s and women’s basketball and soccer programs, as well as the volleyball program, will have the opportunity to return beginning next Monday.

Like the football players who returned June 8, these student-athletes must complete an initial period of quarantine upon arrival before advancing to the next phase of small-group workout sessions. Precautionary measures include mandatory daily temperature checks and use of personal protective equipment.

Athletic Director Heather Lyke said the University is excited for additional athletes to return to campus and will continue to put their safety first.

“We remain committed to our guiding principle — the health and well-being of our student-athletes and staff — as we continue to implement the campus return plan that we worked diligently with University leadership and medical experts to develop,” Lyke said.

Pitt said it will continue to utilize a staggered and phased return to offseason participation for each of its remaining 19 intercollegiate programs and will announce return times at a later date.