County Executive hopeful, Pitt alumnus speaks at Soldiers & Sailors

By Michael Ringling

Republican Allegheny County Executive candidate D. Raja, a Pitt alumnus, came to Soldiers &… Republican Allegheny County Executive candidate D. Raja, a Pitt alumnus, came to Soldiers & Sailors last night to talk to those from around the University of Pittsburgh area.

Raja, who said he was on campus because Pitt gave him a scholarship when he went to school, added that he wanted students from Oakland campuses to come out and become involved in political events.Supporters and interested people came to listen and participate in an hour-long discussion with the County Executive hopeful. He took the time to listen to voters’ concerns about Allegheny County and answer any questions they raised about the region during the public town hall meeting

“We tried to do something different with this campaign,” Raja, a Pitt alumnus, said. “Most people don’t do events in Oakland.”

He said one of his main goals as County Executive would be to get Pittsburgh’s graduating students to stay in the region.

“I am running because I came from India and Allegheny County gave me a chance to be successful,” Raja said. “I don’t see that for our kids right now.”

Raja opened the town hall event by presenting about 75 audience members with three questions: “What do you like about Allegheny county? What don’t you like about Allegheny county? And what would you change?”

Members of the audience shouted things they enjoyed about the county, such as the rich culture, the great history and the great sports teams.

But not everything was positive. Responses included cuts to the Port Authority system, the outsourcing of jobs and the lack of a manufacturing base for college graduates.    

Raja noted that one way to combat these issues is the utilization of Marcellus Shale.  

“We need to get the drilling in the county’s lands,” Raja said. “And get it to be responsible drilling.”

Raja went on to talk about the environmental risks associated with the practice and a potential solution.

“I understand that there are environmental issues with Marcellus Shale,” Raja said. “We have the technology to solve it, but we don’t have the regulation.”

He said that the fracking process can be altered in order to make it more environmentally friendly

Raja moved on to discuss the mobilization of start-up companies and businesses as another possibility for job creation.

“The reason start-ups leave is they don’t have their first customers or they don’t have the capital,” Raja said. “We could be that first customer.”

Laid-off Port Authority employee Jim Bonner presented a personal testament of the effects of Port Authority layoffs.

“I’m looking for sustainable funding,” Bonner said. “We need to do this without attacking the workforce,” referring to the recent layoffs. He also spoke about the possibility of privatizing the public transit system, which Raja quickly addressed.

“I’m not saying privatization,” Raja said. “[But] I don’t think you are going to get a bailout from the state or the federal government.”       

Raja added that he would bring a voice to the region to export the county’s products and services.

Because of his business background, Raja said he “understands the public and the private.”

Gary Gosai, a local business owner and registered Democrat, said he is pleased with Raja and his ideas for change.

“I don’t think he is a born politician,” Gosai said. “He is a businessman.”  

Audience member Emily Swan said she came to learn more about the candidate after receiving Raja’s political literature in the mail.

“Mailings are sketchy,” Swan said. “When you go to vote it is important to be educated. Sometimes it’s almost impossible to know who these people are.”

Raja will face Democratic nominee Rich Fitzgerald Nov. 8 in the Allegheny County Executive election.