Meet the Editors: The Chiefs

Editor-in-Chief+Jon+Moss+and+Managing+Editor+Mary+Rose+O%E2%80%99Donnell+are+the+leaders+at+The+Pitt+News.+

Zoom screenshot

Editor-in-Chief Jon Moss and Managing Editor Mary Rose O’Donnell are the leaders at The Pitt News.

By Jon Moss and Mary Rose O'Donnell

The Pitt News is one of the largest student organizations on campus, with roughly 200 students participating. Students create all of the content for the paper, but who is in charge? It’s time to meet the chiefs.

The editor-in-chief and managing editor are the dynamic duo responsible for running the newspaper on a daily basis and setting long-term strategy. We work with a crew of 17 other editors to bring you the national-award-winning Pitt News that you know and love. We eat, sleep and breathe The Pitt News! As you read the paper this year, feel free to send us an email with your feedback and story ideas, or submit a Letter to the Editor or Op-Ed if you want to weigh in on a particular topic of interest to you.

Jon Moss, Editor-in-Chief

I’m Jon Moss, a junior business major and Spanish minor. This is my third year working at The Pitt News, and I’m very excited to be leading the paper as the editor-in-chief. The COVID-19 pandemic has shown the importance of local news, and we look forward to continuing our diligent reporting of the Oakland community. My favorite part of being a news reporter is working on accountability reporting — holding Pitt accountable for its actions — and doing my best to explain how the University’s inner workings will affect students, faculty, staff and local residents.

When I’m not working at The Pitt News, catch me on a walk in Schenley Park or in the kitchen making some challah french toast, chocolate chip cookie balls or just chilling with a bagel and cream cheese.

Mary Rose O’Donnell, Managing Editor

Hi there! I’m Mary Rose O’Donnell, a senior information science and digital narrative and interactive design major. This is my third year at TPN and my second on the editorial board. I’ve held a variety of positions at the paper, including digital manager, culture editor, assistant news editor and layout editor. My favorite part of working for the paper is getting to collaborate with all of the talented editors and staff members we have on board. When I’m not working at The Pitt News, you can find me watching movies, listening to podcasts and playing guitar.