Volleyball: 2011 schedule announced

By Isaac Saul

The Pitt Panthers women’s volleyball team has announced it’s 2011 schedule, and included in… The Pitt Panthers women’s volleyball team has announced its 2011 schedule, and included in its opponents is defending national champion Penn State.

The Nittany Lions have not graced the Fitzgerald Field House hardwood since 1991.

In addition to the national champions, the Panthers will face tough competition throughout their schedule. A total of eight teams that were regionally ranked and five that appeared in the 2010 RPI top 50 will face off with Pitt throughout the season.

Fortunately for the Pitt volleyball fan, there will be plenty of opportunities to see the Panthers play on their home court. Their match against Penn State will come during the Pitt Invitational, to be held on Labor Day. The other two teams featured that weekend will be New Hampshire and Miami (Ohio).

The Panthers will also be hosting the Pitt Panther Invitational Tournament Aug. 26 and 27 and the Pitt Blue and Gold Tournament on Sept. 16 and 17.

The schedule also includes a six game homestand against Big East rivals like Seton Hall, Rutgers, DePaul, Notre Dame, Marquette, Syracuse and USF.

The season’s home stretch will begin during the Big East tournament (Nov. 18-20). This year, the Marquette Golden Eagles will play host in Milwaukee, Wis.

After that, the Panthers head to San Diego, Calif., for the Aztec Turkey Time Tournament. One notable attendee of that tournament will be TCU, who is a soon-to-be Big East foe, starting in 2012.

The NCAA Women’s Volleyball Championship first and second rounds begin on Dec. 2 and 3. The finals are slated for Dec. 15-17 in San Antonio.

The Panthers return eight players from the 2010 season, and are on a three-year streak of consecutive Big East Championship berths.

This year’s team will also be boasting a freshman recruiting class that earned national recognition from PrepVolleyball.com — the first of its kind in Toby Rens’ coaching career at Pitt, which began in 2008.