Student leaders defend SGB allocations process

By Marissa Meredyth

Some student group leaders defended Student Government Board and its allocation process last… Some student group leaders defended Student Government Board and its allocation process last night, a noteable change from previous weeks’ meetings.

Although some group leaders have recently criticized the process by calling it inconsistent, others called it reasonable during last night’s meeting in Nordy’s Place.

Board president Molly Stieber began the meeting by explaining how important it was for organizations seeking funding to come speak with the Board — which is responsible for allocating about $1 million of the Student Activities fund — before the weekly public meeting.

“We want you to do that beforehand,” Stieber said. “We are really happy to speak with you and and are always available.”

Stieber also clarified the type of help available for those who are confused about the process. All organizations have access to an allocations liaison—who helps group leaders write requests and shed light on allocation rules— but groups also have the option of setting up a liaison with a Board member.

Board member Ryan Gayman is leading the Board member liaison program, an initiative started last year by former Board member David Gau.

Geoffrey Zettel, president of Men’s Ultimate Frisbee Club, said in an e-mail that the Board is not to blame for misunderstandings.

“I have to say I’m disappointed by the ignorance of other groups and how it is giving Allocations Committee and SGB a bad name,” Zettel wrote in an e-mail.

The club requested $2,327.88 to attend a tournament in Wilmington, N.C., which would cover ground transportation, lodging and an honorarium. They received $1,717.88 in a decision that Zettel called “very fair.”

The part of the request that was denied, $610, was funding for the B-team to attend the event. It is precedent for the Board to only fund for an A-team to compete, Allocations Chairman Mike Bane said.

Zettel, like some student leaders, said he was not aware of the various guidelines for the allocations process when he first became president of his organization last November.

“I was able to quickly understand the process,” he said. “However, it took initiative on my part to meet with the Allocations Committee and have them answer all my questions.”

He added that the SGB staff is “very responsive about anything you want to know.”

“Not all groups find allocations confusing, probably those who just do not take the time to learn about it,” Zettel said. “It is not a simple process, but one that can be understood if you apply yourself.”

Pitt Club Tennis Team business manager Scott Bronder shared similar feelings about learning the process over time.

“I am not sure if this is the Board’s fault, previous [executive] boards from the tennis team’s fault or my fault,” Bronder said. “But coming into this year, I had absolutely no clue as to how the allocation process worked.”

Bronder said he learned over the semester and admitted that it involved some trial and error.

“I would be lying if I said that I haven’t messed up,” he said. “The team has suffered to a degree, although nothing major yet.”

Bronder was frustrated learning the process this way and share similar views with Zettel. Bronder thought that the allocations process is “lengthy and complicated.”

Bronder requested $1,076 to attend a tournament later this month. The Board upheld the Allocations Committee’s recommendation to deny the request in full because of how much money the team has already been allotted this year.

Bane said that the Pitt Club Tennis Team has already received $5,400 for competitions this academic year, which exceeds the $5,000-per-club competition guideline.

“I am not happy about it,” Bronder said. “I understand that there are a lot of student groups and can see reasoning behind putting a limit on how much money each team should be allowed.”

His frustration remains, as he said the team cannot exist or compete at the level it has in the past without proper funding.

Allocations notes:

Allocation Notes:

Fitness & Bodybuilding Club requested $1,632.43 to attend a conference in Columbus, Ohio. The Board approved $363.33 and denied $1,269.10.

The Pittsburgh Fencing Association requested $3,506.04 to attend a national competition in Chicago. The Board approved $864.60 and denied $2,641.80.

Students in Free Enterprise requested $560.20 for competition in Cleveland. The Board approved $525.20 and denied $35.

Phi Beta Lambda business organization requested $978.78 to attend a conference. The Board approved $760.78 and denied $218.

Pittsburgh Electronic Musicians requested $1,515 to attend an electronic showdown. The Board approved $584 and denied $931.

Free the Planet requested $983.97 to attend a conference in Washington D.C. The Board approved $659.97 and denied $324.

Tau Beta Sigma honorary band sorority requested $765.30 to attend a conference. The Board approved $441.38 and denied $323.

Korean Culture Association requested $600 to cater food for Korea Town, an on-campus event. The Board approved $375 and denied $225.

American Marketing Association requested $1,440 to pay for fees for 10 members to be nationally recognized. The Board postponed the request, pending documentation that this is required by the national organization.

Chabad House requested $2,492.80 for a speaker. The request was withdrawn.

Ya’Baso Dance Team requested $1,426.98 for a dance showcase. The Allocations Committee recommended approving $857.48 and denying $569.50. The Board amended the recommendation and approved $1,226.09 and denied $200.89.

Korean Student Association requested $1,401.44 to attend a conference. The Allocations Committee recommended denying the request in full. The Board amended the recommendation and approved $1,383.43 and denied $17.96.

Student Leaders in International Medicine requested $710 to send 10 members to Washington, D.C., to visit the Malawi embassy. The Allocations Committee recommended to approve $610 and deny $100. After debating the matter several times, the Board voted six to two to deny the request in full. Board members Alex Zimmerman and Ryan Gayman opposed.

Some of God’s Children Gospel Choir requested $5,619.40 for a trip to Boston. The Board denied the request in full.

Panther Women’s Rugby Football Club filed a budget modification request for $770.16 to compete in a tournament. The Board approved the modification.

Women’s Ultimate Frisbee Club filed a budget modification request for $865.46 to compete in a tournament. The Board approved the modification.