Women’s basketball: Looking back at the Panthers’ season, looking ahead to the next

By Torie Wytiaz

Just one look at the 2010-11 Pitt women’s basketball roster and schedule made it clear that… Just one look at the 2010-11 Pitt women’s basketball roster and schedule made it clear that this would be a challenging year.

This year’s team was uniquely composed of only seniors and freshmen, and as the Panthers competed in the Big East, they knew each conference game would present a competitive challenge.

These factors might have contributed to the 14-17 record for the Panthers, their first losing record since the 2004-05 season.

This season also marks the first time the Panthers failed to enter postseason play after five consecutive appearances.

As the Panthers prepared to enter the Big East Tournament as a No. 12 seed with a 13-16 record, the possibility of not making postseason play loomed large.

Prior to the team’s first game against No. 13 South Florida, Pitt head coach Agnus Berenato acknowledged the difficult task that her team faced.

“It’s pretty simple for us: We need to win and if we don’t, we go home,” Berenato said.

The Panthers responded against the Bulldogs and pulled out a 63-60 victory, but came up short in their next contest against No. 5-seeded Marquette, falling 65-61.

Despite a losing record and an absence from national tournament competition, the 2010-11 season was not without its highlights, both team-oriented and individual.

The most impressive victory for the Panthers came against then-No. 14 West Virginia in a 60-53 win on the Mountaineers’ home court in Morgantown.

The Panthers were led by Taneisha Harrison and her 30 points in that game. Throughout the season, Harrison, a senior, was often the team’s primary offensive threat.

Harrison was named to the Big East Honor Roll twice and, upon the conclusion of the regular season, was also voted to the All-Big East second team.

Harrison said her time at Pitt has been a rewarding athletic experience.

“I just love basketball, and that’s why I chose to come to Pitt,” Harrison said. “I knew I would have a chance to learn, do what I love and do it at a high level.”

Harrison finished the season as the Panthers’ leading scorer, averaging 15.2 points per game and turning in 25 double-digit scoring performances on the year.

Playing at an equally high level was fellow senior Chelsea Cole. Cole was also named to the All-Big East team as an honorable mention selection, thanks in part to her rebounding dominance.

Cole came into that role early last season, as soon as she realized it was a hole that needed to be filled.

“In preseason workouts, the coaches would emphasize the need to improve in rebounding,” Cole said. “I knew that was my department and that I needed to step up my game in that area.”

Averaging over 10 rebounds per game and contributing to the offense, Cole recorded a Big East-leading 16 double-doubles.

The other two members of the senior class, Shayla Scott and Jania Sims, also earned individual honors throughout the season.

Scott received the Pat Blayden Spirit of Sport Award, given in February to a Pittsburgh-area female collegiate athlete who shows commitment to academic and athletic excellence while maintaining community involvement.

Scott, who served as a two-year captain for the Panthers and averaged just fewer than 10 points per game, was honored by her selection and considered it a team honor.

“I am excited to have received this honor and to be able to represent the University of Pittsburgh and the women’s basketball team,” Scott said.

“Every individual award is a team one.”

Sims’ entry into the Pitt women’s basketball 1,000 point club came in a Feb. 1 victory over Cincinnati in which she posted 24 points.

For Sims, the achievement was a reward for hard work through two injuries and five years at the University.

“Finally,” Sims said after the Cincinnati game. “I told myself I would never get to 1,000 points, but I’ve been through a lot and it feels like a great reward.”

Berenato agreed, noting that “it’s been a long, hard road” for Sims throughout her Pitt career, as she was ineligible for her first year and sidelined by an injury as a redshirt sophomore.

The senior members of the squad faced a tough road as a whole this season, as they were the lone experienced players surrounded by new recruits.

But Berenato has seen growth and improvement among the freshmen players that could lead to future success.

“This is not a typical freshmen class,” Berenato said. “They knew they we would be asking a lot from them early on.”

Freshman Ashlee Anderson, aware of the class disparity on the team, recognized the importance of this year as a chance to learn.

“We need to develop the type of presence we want to have in the future,” Anderson said. “We have four seniors on this team, and when they are gone, we need to pick things up and continue to move the program forward.”

Anderson is joined by six fellow soon-to-be sophomores who will look to lead an incoming class of recruits ranked No. 19 by ESPN HoopGurlz.

Loliya Briggs, a guard from Florida — rated No. 50 overall by the same service — will add versatility in her passing and scoring ability.

Joining Briggs at the guard position will be Brianna Kiesel, a shooting threat with a great amount of speed.

Chyna Golden, Cora McManus and TiAnna Porter are the recruits at the forward position and each contributed heavily to their high school team’s scoring and rebounding.

“This is an exciting time to be a Pitt Panther,” Berenato said in regards to the upcoming season and the additions from the incoming players. “Each member of this class represents the future of Pitt basketball.”

Though the recent season might not have produced the post-season excitement the Panthers have come to expect, the achievements of the four seniors deserve to be acknowledged as the stage seems set for resurgence in 2011-12.