SGB discusses bedroom assignments

By Marissa Meredyth

Questions regarding bedroom propriety contributed to an extra-long Student Government Board… Questions regarding bedroom propriety contributed to an extra-long Student Government Board meeting last night.

When Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity requested $607.56 to send seven members to a conference, the Board had to grapple with assigning rooms based on sex.

Phi Alpha Delta founding president Patricia Leftwich spoke about the group’s request and insisted on approval for separate rooms for the men and women attending. After getting approval for four members to attend the conference and stay in one hotel room, Leftwich asked for funding for an extra room. The Board normally only funds for one room per four people.

“Boys and girls cannot stay in the same room,” Leftwich said. In a separate conversation, Leftwich said she had religious objections to rooming with men.

But the Board maintained that it does not consider names or genders when approving people for events. The Board said that it is only concerned with the number of people involved in a request.

The Board asked for clarification from Allocations Chair Mike Bane.

Bane said the committee generally funds for four people to attend a conference and one room for lodging. This procedure is followed regardless of sex or University policy.

Board member Emily Hoover said that “we try not to even think about that,” referring to members of the opposite sex staying in the same room.

Board president Molly Stieber clarified Hoover’s use of “we” after the meeting, saying that it referred to Hoover’s position on the Allocations committee last year.

Stieber, along with Hyla Wallis, fundraising chair for Women’s Fastpitch Softball Club, talked about past requests that were similar to Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity’s after the meeting adjourned.

Stieber and Wallis both recalled one case when the Board approved an additional room to separate sexes.

But this was only the case because the organization was religious in nature, and it was specified in the group’s mission statement.

Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity is not a religious organization.

Allocations notes:

Engineering World Health requested $625.78 to attend a conference. The Board approved the request in full.

Panther Grappling requested $1,124.26 to attend a seminar. The Board approved $1,109 and denied $15.26.

Mock Trial requested $826.72 to send two teams to a tournament. The Board approved $617.72 and denied $209.

Steel City Bhangra made two requests last night. The first request was for $5,678.40 for plane tickets to attend a competition. The Board approved the first request in full. The second request was for $3,355 to perform in an exhibition. The Board denied the second request.

Student Leaders in International Medicine requested $2,877.60 to attend a conference. The Board approved $1,484 and denied $1,393.07.

Panther Men’s Lacrosse made six separate requests, totaling $20,259.92, to attend a tournament, purchase gear and pay dues. The Board approved $12,405.87 and denied $7,854.05.

The African Student Organization requested $1,571.76 to attend a conference. The Board approved $1,542 and denied $29.76.

The Women’s Water Polo Club requested $1,582.39 to attend a tournament. The Board approved $1,388.89 and denied $193.50.

The Asian Student Alliance requested a budget modification to $9,000.20. The Board approved the modification.