Pink Martini offers international-flavored holiday cheer

By Liz Keeney

Joy to the World

Pink Martini

Heinz… Joy to the World

Pink Martini

Heinz Records

B+

With the holiday season just around the corner, festive music is just the way to get into a celebratory spirit.

With the release of their newest album, Joy to the World, 12-piece “little orchestra” Pink Martini hopes to capture the essence of the holidays with a little international flavor.

Pink Martini has been producing its eclectic mix of international jazz and orchestrated musical styles since 1997. Joy to the World is the band’s first foray into holiday music.

Classic Christmas tunes such as “Santa Baby,” “White Christmas” and “Little Drummer Boy” are sure to satisfy anyone looking to catch the Christmas spirit, whereas songs like “Elohai, N’tzor” and “Ocho Kandelikas” add some diversity to the selection of holiday music.

Lead vocalist China Forbes’ unique voice gives each song a slightly jazzy feel, and the band’s arrangement matches her vocal style well, giving the album a sound appropriate for family holiday gatherings. But that sound does skew toward a more mature audience, so it’s not likely that Joy to the World will play at any college parties.

Still, overall, the album will be a treat for fans of seasonal music of any age, perfect for getting over your food coma or for getting some last minute holiday shopping done.