Weekend Sports Recap | Men’s basketball falls to FSU, wrestling stays hot against Virginia

Colleen Nguyen | Staff Photographer

Jamarius Burton (11) drives toward the hoop during Saturday’s game against Florida State.

By David Scott, Staff Writer

Pitt track and field, wrestling, gymnastics and men’s and women’s basketball teams continued their seasons over the weekend. Here’s how they fared in their respective events.

Track and Field

The Panthers finished strong at the YSU Collegiate Invitational in Youngstown, Ohio, on Friday.

First-year Sacha Quequin finished third in the men’s long jump at the meet and secured the eighth best mark in program history with a 23’8” jump. Junior Folake Olujide-Ajibade grabbed first in the women’s 60m hurdles with a time of 8.84 seconds and junior Jazmyn Potts took home second with a personal-best time of 8.85 seconds. In the women’s 60m, senior Imani Clark placed first with a time of 7.56 seconds.

Graduate student Nikki Scherer also took home first in the women’s 200m and 400m, and sophomore Caleia Johnson placed second in the two races.

The Panthers will get back on the track Jan. 27-28 at the Lenny Lyles Invitational in Louisville, Kentucky.

Wrestling

Pitt wrestling started perfect in the ACC and moved to 7-2 in the season with a win at Virginia on Friday. The Panthers won eight of their 10 bouts and moved to 9-2 all time against the Cavaliers. 

Senior Dazjon Casto kicked off the action with a win over No. 33 ranked Jake Keating. That was all the momentum Pitt needed as No. 31 ranked senior Holden Heller and first-year Luca Augustine picked up wins, giving the Panthers a 9-0 lead they didn’t relinquish.

No. 2 senior Nino Bonaccorsi, No. 24 senior Jake Slinger, junior Colton Camacho, No. 7 senior Micky Phillippi and No. 3 senior Cole Matthews all picked up wins in the 25-6 win.

Pitt wrestling is back in action on Friday at Virginia Tech.

Men’s Basketball

Pitt men’s basketball suffered a disappointing loss at home against Florida State on Saturday. The Panthers dropped to 13-7 (6-3 ACC) and are tied for third in the ACC.

Pitt went down 39-29 at the half and couldn’t recover from the deficit. The Panthers outscored the Seminoles 35-32 in the second half but eventually fell 71-64.

Graduate guard Jamarius Burton and junior forward Blake Hinson combined for 36 points in the affair, with Burton shooting eight of 13 from the field with five assists. Sophomore center Federiko Federiko had a solid night, tallying eight points, eight rebounds and three blocks.

Inconsistency was the nail in the coffin for the Panthers, who surrendered a devastating 20-2 run in the first half. Pitt’s guards shot a measly three of 19 from three.

The Panthers host Wake Forest on Wednesday at the Petersen Events Center.

Gymnastics

Pitt gymnastics lost to NC State and George Washington at the Reynolds Coliseum on Saturday, falling to 3-5 on the season.

Despite the losing effort, the Panthers claimed three first-place titles in the event. First-year Kennedy Duke and sophomore Sidney Washington tied for first on vault, first-year Natalia Pawlak grabbed first on bars and sophomore Hallie Copperwheat won the all-around first place title with a score of 39.350.

“The team finished really strong, which is something I am really proud of them for,” head coach Samantha Snider said. “The team is ready to get back to the gym to iron out details. We are excited for the upcoming opportunity next weekend at Ball State to continue to improve.”

Pitt gymnastics will head to Muncie, Indiana, for a tri-meet against Ball State and Missouri State on Jan. 29.

Women’s Basketball

Pitt women’s basketball suffered a massive 74-37 loss against Florida State on Sunday. The Panthers fell to 7-12 (0-8 ACC) and continued their seven-game losing streak. With the loss, Pitt fell to 0-10 all-time against the Seminoles.

Florida State outscored Pitt in all four quarters, with the Seminoles holding a 44-point lead at one point in the afternoon. Senior guard Dayshanette Harris and first-year guard Avery Strickland led the Panthers in scoring, putting up nine points each.

Pitt returns home on Thursday to take on No. 17 North Carolina. The Panthers are looking to end their losing streak and pick up their first ACC win.