SGB elections to start soon

By Marissa Meredyth

SGB announced last night that applications are now available for students interested in running… SGB announced last night that applications are now available for students interested in running for next term’s president or Board member positions.

Applications, available online and in the SGB office, are due Oct. 20 at 5 p.m.

Any full-time, non-CGS Pitt student is qualified to run for the positions, which begin in January, as long as they meet a number of requirements. Prospective candidates must have a QPA greater than or equal to 2.5, must be in good academic standing with the University and must have at least one full year left at Pitt.

The Board’s election committee will accept late applications until Nov. 2. Late applications will require twice the number of signatures, according to SGB’s elections code.

Students running for president need 250 signatures from undergraduate, non-CGS students registered on the Oakland campus to complete the application. Board-member candidates need 200 signatures.

Students with any questions about eligibility should contact Lena Wickenden, Elections Committee chair, at [email protected].

SGB election day is Nov. 18. This year, students can vote for eight board members and one president, as opposed to five board members and a president in the past.

The SGB elections committee will post information about each of the candidates and their platforms a week before the election. Students will vote through the my.pitt.edu portal.

Allocation Notes:

Active Minds requested $1,243.26 to attend a conference. The group received $757 and were denied $486.26.

Pitt Student Slovak Club was allotted the $1,950 requested for an on-campus program.

Chinese Martial Arts Association was denied the $1,150  it requested to bring two instructors to campus.

Animal Lovers Club was allotted the $1,000 it requested to bring a speaker to campus.

Hillel JUC was allotted the $1,521 it requested to attend a conference after the Board amended the Allocations Committee’s recommendation to deny the request in full.

American Society of Civil Engineers requested $2,000 to attend a conference. The group received $1958.53, and was denied $41.47.

Session: Middle East was allotted the $2,993.96 it requested to attend a competition.

Pitt Open Books was denied $896 to attend a conference, despite the Allocations Committee’s recommendation to approve in full.

The Society of Women Engineers amended its original request for $3,986 for eight girls to attend a four-day conference. A decision on the new request, for $1,565.60 to send four underclassman to the conference, was postponed.

Women’s Fastpitch Softball was allotted the $1,826.75 it requested for a conference series.

Model UN had the $3,399.36 it was  allotted earlier modified to attend a conference at Yale after missing a previous conference.