Betül Tuncer, editor-in-chief.

Betül Tuncer, editor-in-chief.

Take 5 | The Pitt News Sports Desk gives its take on NFL season, UFC 295 and more

AP Photo/Adam Hunger
New York Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers (8) runs off the field during the first half of an NFL preseason football game against the New York Giants on Aug. 26 in East Rutherford, N.J.

Five Takes for NFL Season // Matthew Scabilloni, Staff Writer

Before the NFL season officially gets into full force this week, I figured that this Take Five is a perfect chance to give five takes for NFL awards plus the eventual champion.

My MVP is Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers, as the Jets’ talented young core is perfect for the aging quarterback to return to MVP form.

Meanwhile, my Offensive Player of the Year is Jaguars running back Travis Etienne. Jaguars fans this offseason have hyped up quarterback Trevor Lawrence, but I think Offensive Player of the Year goes to his talented former Clemson teammate.

On the other side of the ball, my Defensive Player of the Year prediction is Browns defensive lineman Myles Garrett. The Browns lineman is an elite pass rusher, which will finally get him the award he has consistently missed out on winning. 

Finally, my Comeback Player of the Year is Bills safety Damar Hamlin. It’s simple — anyone who nearly dies on the football field and then comes back to play the next season deserves to win this award.

On the team side, my Super Bowl champions are the Eagles. The Eagles, who return the majority of their talent from last year’s Super Bowl run, make their Lombardi-lifting dreams come true by defeating the Jets 27-23.

Georgia misses College Football Playoff and does not three-peat // Ari Meyer, Staff Writer

Following two straight years of exemplary performance by the Bulldogs, Georgia will struggle to maintain that success going into the last year of the four-team playoff. After losing 10 starters to the National Football League, the Bulldogs will fail to maintain similar success, regardless of their relatively easy schedule. 

During the 2022 season, the Bulldogs were unable to gain separation against Missouri and Kentucky, narrowly pulling away with victory both times. They are bound to slip a couple of times. I think Ole Miss and Tennessee are the two teams with the best chance of taking down the back-to-back champions. With two losses, the Bulldogs will not make the playoffs. Their floor is 8-4 and their ceiling is 10-2.

Jon Jones put out to pasture at UFC 295 // Eli Smith, Staff Writer

Six months ago Jon ‘Bones’ Jones won the UFC Heavyweight Title in dominant fashion, submitting opponent Ciryl Gane early in the first round. For many, this cemented Jones’ position as the GOAT of the promotion. 

His UFC record up to this point stands at a staggering 27-1, with his only loss coming from a questionable disqualification in 2009. Jones hinted at his potential retirement recently, publicly implying his final opponent is Stipe Miocic on Nov. 11. 

While many fans believe that Jones will have no problem handling an aging Miocic, I would have to disagree. Miocic has fought in the heavyweight division far longer than Jones and has had incredible success his entire career. My prediction for UFC 295 is a decision victory for Miocic, handing Jones the first “real” loss of his illustrious career. 

Lamar Jackson officially slept on and will make big comeback in 2023 // Mason Carter, Staff Writer

With the NFL season right around the corner, it’s time for people to throw in their preseason predictions. Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow and Jalen Hurts are names commonly brought into the MVP conversation in 2023.

But watch out for Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson.

The 2019 MVP is healthy and has the two best options he has ever played with in wide receivers Zay Flowers and Odell Beckham Jr.

The Ravens also hired Todd Monken as offensive coordinator, who just came off back-to-back championships with Georgia at the college level.

A true playmaker when healthy, Jackson will have the league on notice again in 2023. 

The College Football AP Top 25 Poll shouldn’t start til mid-season // Ben Pisano, Staff Writer

It’s no question that the AP Top 25 Poll is far from perfect. Week after week, college football commentators and fans scrutinize every change in the ranks. 

And every week, without fail, there’s always some controversy over the list. This week, people are fervently debating why Clemson holds a spot at No. 25 after previously unranked Duke beat them by three touchdowns on Saturday.

Here’s an idea — wait til mid-season to drop the first AP poll. Say, around week six. Let the first six weeks of college football become a confusing, unranked bloodbath. Then, after teams settle into the season a little bit, AP releases the first top 25 poll. That way, people look forward to the release of the Top 25 poll, rather than regarding it with annoyance.