Film festivals coming to Pittsburgh in October

A+showing+of+Rehana+Maryam+Noor+in+the+auditorium+of+Alumni+Hall+as+part+of+the+Screenshot+Asia+film+festival+on+Sept.+28%2C+2022.+
Jonathan Guo | Staff Photographer
A showing of Rehana Maryam Noor in the auditorium of Alumni Hall as part of the Screenshot Asia film festival on Sept. 28, 2022.

The air is getting cooler. Your nose is getting stuffier. You’ve made the annual transition from shorts to pants and t-shirts to sweaters. The September equinox is nigh — autumn is upon us! Grab a pumpkin spice latte and catch a flick at one of the film festivals coming to Pittsburgh this October. These festivals represent the vanguard of Pittsburgh cinema, from amateur filmmakers to bona fide auteurs. Whether you’re a casual or connoisseur, check out these cinematic celebrations in our city — and stick around for festival coverage from The Pitt News Culture Desk.

Pittsburgh Silent Film Festival September 24 – October 1

This festival journeys back into the early days of filmmaking when audio was in its infancy. The Pittsburgh Silent Film Society presents a celebration of the lost art of silent films, a genre that defined an era in Hollywood. The festival features nine silent movies in a variety of Pittsburgh theaters starring early Hollywood legends like Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton.

SCREENSHOT: Asia October 4-8 

The annual festival presented by Pitt’s Asian Studies Center and Film and Media Studies Program showcases Asian stories on screen. The Harris Theater in downtown Pittsburgh and several spots around campus will host screenings of recent films from Taiwan, India, the Philippines, Iran, South Korea and elsewhere on the Asian continent. 

Reel Q October 6-15

The 38th annual Reel Q festival features stories from Pittsburgh’s LGBTQ+ community. It kicks off with “Our Son,” a family drama starring iconic Pittsburgh actor Billy Porter. Each film in this year’s selection celebrates LGBTQ+ identities with 17 feature films and over 50 short films, exploring gender and sexuality through diverse narratives. 

Black Bottom Film Festival October 27-29

The August Wilson African American Cultural Center in downtown Pittsburgh presents the Black Bottom Film Festival, a weekend of cinema from Black artists and filmmakers. The films examine themes present in the narratives of legendary playwright August Wilson, whose plays often depicted the struggles of Black working class families in the Hill District of Pittsburgh.

DOCTOBER October 29

WQED Filmmakers, Pitt’s Film and Media Studies Program and the Documentary Salon are hosting a short documentary competition at WQED-TV’s Studio A. The contest invites students and alumni from universities around Pittsburgh to submit 25-minute nonfiction films. Selected documentaries will be screened at the studio and judged based on their journalism and research, insight into unknown worlds, use of the documentary medium and ability to capture remarkable moments.

Patrick Swain, Culture Editor
Patrick Swain is a junior economics major with a minor in Hispanic language and culture. He begrudgingly removes Oxford commas as the culture editor of The Pitt News. You can find him rooting for the Buffalo Bills, invoking the third amendment and remembering the Alamo.