The Pitt News ‘likes’ David Fincher’s ‘The Social Network’

By Bethie Girmai

“The Social Network”

Starring: Jesse Eisenberg, Justin Timberlake, Andrew… “The Social Network”

Starring: Jesse Eisenberg, Justin Timberlake, Andrew Garfield

Directed by: David Fincher

Columbia Pictures

Grade: A

Just before I walked into a theater at the Waterfront, I grabbed the BlackBerry in my purse and almost instinctively refreshed my Facebook. While I was mid-wall post, the bouncer at the entrance asked me to turn off my phone for the duration of the film. As I realized I would have to survive the next two hours without my BlackBerry, I felt my chest tighten. What would I do if a couple changed their relationship status and I was the last to know?

Ironically enough, the film I sacrificed my phone for was “The Social Network.”

Directed by David Fincher, “The Social Network” is the story of how Facebook came to fruition. It begins in 2003, when founder Mark Zuckerberg (Jesse Eisenberg), toys with the idea of creating a social networking site from his Harvard dorm room. The film then follows Eisenberg’s character as he succeeds in launching the site, gains notoriety and tries to fend off simultaneous lawsuits from his peers and his former best friend.

Aaron Sorkin, who wrote the film’s phenomenal screenplay, ensures that the audience both hates and sympathizes with almost every character. The dialogue is quick-witted, original and funny, and the action is dramatic but plausible.

Adding to this is the film’s exceptional casting. The all-star lineup includes Justin Timberlake, Rashida Jones and newcomers Andrew Garfield, Armie Hammer and Rooney Mara, as well as Disney’s Brenda Song. Moviegoers couldn’t ask for a more believable portrayal of each character.

In particular, Jesse Eisenberg pulls off the socially awkward Zuckerberg so well it’s easy to forget he’s just acting. As his invention begins to consume his environment, Eisenberg’s character — in essence a conflicted and lonely kid — tries to cope with the consequences of his actions. He showcases Zuckerberg’s achievements while simultaneously highlighting the price he paid socially and how it affected him on a personal level.

Andrew Garfield’s portrayal of Eduardo Saverin, a co-founder of the site, is also exceptional. Garfield does well to balance Saverin’s incredible need for acceptance and approval from his father with his desire to stand up for himself. Garfield’s character develops beautifully throughout the duration of the film. By the end, Saverin isn’t afraid to go after what he wants and make sure his voice is heard.

If Eisenberg’s character lit the fire that became his multi-billion dollar empire, Timberlake’s character — Napster founder Sean Parker — provided the match. If Eisenberg represented the nerd in high school, Timberlake was the guy that all the girls wanted. The two characters complement each other perfectly — Eisenberg’s character comes off as driven, motivated and eager to succeed. Timberlake’s, however, engages in reckless behavior and endangers the company’s reputation. His promiscuity, drug use and paranoia prove he’s unreliable and volatile. Turns out Timberlake has skills other than dancing in unison, harmonizing and fending off screaming teenyboppers.

Although the lead actors steal the spotlight, the unlikely stars of the film are the supporting characters. Hammer shines as the privileged, arrogant Cameron Winklevoss. Mara’s character, Erica Albright, represents the people negatively affected by Zuckerberg’s aspirations. Jones plays Marylin Delpy, a law student working on Zuckerberg’s case, who isn’t afraid to point out where he went wrong. Finally, Song sheds her “Disney Channel” image as Christy Ling, Saverin’s emotionally unstable girlfriend and the film’s comic relief.

This weekend, when you’re browsing the Internet trying to find something to do, go see “The Social Network,” and learn how it all began. Bring all your Facebook friends.