Betül Tuncer, editor-in-chief.

Betül Tuncer, editor-in-chief.

Take 5 | The Pitt News Sports Desk gives takes on MLB playoffs, the Steelers and more

(AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)
Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin on the sidelines in the first half of an NFL football game against the Baltimore Ravens in Pittsburgh, Sunday, Oct. 8.

The Houston Astros will win the World Series // Brian Sherry, Sports Editor 

From the ‘90s Chicago Bulls to the Tom Brady-led New England Patriots, history has shown that, when in their prime, dynasties are extremely hard to stop in the postseason. The Astros are the MLB’s closest thing to a dynasty, and they are showing no signs of slowing down in 2023. 

Houston just cruised past the Minnesota Twins in the divisional round of the playoffs, winning the series 3-1. Led by left fielder Yordan Alvarez and a solid pitching rotation, the Astros look more than capable of claiming their third World Series title in six years. 

The Astros will face off against the Texas Rangers in the American League championship. The Rangers will give the Astros their biggest test of the year, but Houston has the talent to take care of business. If Houston is able to dominate its cross-state rival, then it should have enough momentum to take home the title for the second straight year. 

Sha’Carri Richardson may sweep the Olympic short sprints // Patrick Diana, Staff Writer

As the Paris 2024 Summer Olympics inch closer, the United States is in a position to dethrone the short sprint giant that is Jamaica. Thankfully, America has an ace up its sleeve in Sha’Carri Richardson. Her rising in the world standings hints at an epic showdown on the Parisian track. 

Jamaica is no stranger to the 100- and 200-meter events. Aside from the undisputed legend Usain Bolt, the island nation has produced some of the fastest Olympic sprinters of any generation. At the 2021 Tokyo Olympics, Jamaica swept the women’s 100m with Elaine Thompson-Herah, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Shericka Jackson first, second and third, respectively. 

At the recent 2023 World Championships in Budapest, Hungary, Richardson reaffirmed her place in the international standings by upsetting the Jamaican trio in the 100. She took gold with a time of 10.65 seconds. Richardson was followed by Jackson at 10.72 seconds and Fraser-Pryce at 10.77 seconds. 

In the women’s 200m, Richardson claimed bronze with a time of 21.92 seconds. Gold went to Jamaica’s Jackson at 21.41. The duo’s rematch is set for Paris. Richardson has shown audiences not to underestimate her before. I believe she could make history and win both the 100m and 200m and become the third American woman to do so. 

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin will have his first losing season // Tommy O’Connor, Staff Writer 

Tomlin and the Steelers enter the bye week at 3-2, sitting atop the AFC North. The team has found success by using their dynamic edge rushers of T.J. Watt and Alex Highsmith to wreak havoc on opposing quarterbacks. 

The first five games weren’t pretty for the Steelers, who have a -31 point differential — tied for last in the division. Their opponents have dominated them in the first three quarters but have relied on the magic that quarterback Kenny Pickett seems to possess in the fourth quarter. 

The Steelers were fortunate to beat the Ravens this past Sunday, who dropped five passes, two of which had touchdown potential. The Steelers’ first touchdown of the game came in the final minutes of the game.

Though the rest of their schedule seems manageable, Pittsburgh’s offensive production is seriously lacking. They can’t rely on their exhausted and overworked defense to win six more games for them — they have to get creative. 

The noise surrounding offensive coordinator Matt Canada’s performance will continue to become a distraction. Pittsburgh’s loyalty to tradition and rough and tough football no longer works in this offensive league. 

Top teams in the league have dynamic offenses and aren’t afraid to try new things. It’s the Steelers’ stubbornness that will cause this franchise to suffer for at least one more year. All signs are pointing towards Mike Tomlin facing his first losing season. 

After blowout win, Georgia finally looks back in championship form // Mason Carter, Staff Writer

Some fans and critics in the college football world talked about the fall of reigning two-time national champions Georgia, which would bring about more parity in college football. Well, last weekend, Georgia was able to nip these talks in the bud with a blowout 51-13 victory against No. 24 Kentucky.

The criticisms were loud when Georgia just scraped out a 27-20 win against Auburn. Many thought that the back-to-back champions were vulnerable, and suspected to see some losses in the column for Georgia at the end of the season. 

Bulldogs head coach Kirby Smart was able to take this bulletin board material and turn it into motivation for his team. Quarterback Carson Beck turned in one of his best games of the season, throwing for 389 yards and four touchdowns. Junior tight end Brock Bowers was also able to push himself up the Heisman board with seven receptions and 132 yards. The defense also looked excellent, only giving up 183 total yards.

With this win, Georgia is back on track to complete the unprecedented three-peat.

Pitt football head coach Pat Narduzzi needs to turn this season around // Alex Porter, Staff Writer

After the 2021 and 2022 seasons, Pitt football had turned a corner. With back-to-back nine-win seasons, starring three first-round picks, the Panthers had solidified themselves as a top-25 team and among the elite of the ACC. With potential conference realignments and the expanded playoffs on the horizon, Pitt was peaking at the right time.

But following a beyond-disastrous 1-4 start to the season, Narduzzi must find a few more wins on a brutal schedule. If not, Pitt’s progress will fall apart because of its worst season in decades.

Three of Pitt’s next four opponents are ranked. Narduzzi and company must craft the best game plans of their careers if they plan to keep the season afloat.

In the age of the transfer portal and NIL, things could spiral out of control quickly. If redshirt sophomore Christian Veilleux plays no better than Jurkovec, Pitt’s few offensive weapons, like junior tight end Gavin Bartholomew and junior running back Rodney Hammond, may enter the portal this offseason.

So with the progress of Narduzzi’s tenure hanging in the balance, how will the Panthers respond to the challenge?