The Pitt News box outside the Cathedral of Learning.
TPN thanks, says goodbye to senior editors
By The Pitt News Staff April 26, 2024

By The Pitt News Staff April 26, 2024

The most anticipated Halloween costumes of 2023

Fikayomi Olagbami | Senior Staff Illustrator

As Halloween lurks around the corner, students across campus are preparing their outfits for the one night a year people can dress in quirky, expressive costumes. 

“I think that our campus is pretty unique in the sense that everybody is doing their own thing,” Selam Mekbeb-Gillett, a senior studying psychology and sociology, said. “In the general scope of what’s been popping right now, there definitely will be a Barbie/Oppenheimer crew.”

This year was a huge success for plenty of movies and TV shows, including “Barbie,” “Oppenheimer,” “The Bear” and “One Piece.” Students expect that there will be a range of well-known pop culture costumes this year, particularly Barbie-inspired outfits. 

“I know we’ll see a lot of Barbie, because that was a really big movie,” John Mcgaughey, a junior math major, said. “Or maybe even Taylor Swift-themed stuff, because she is trending more than ever.” 

Mcgaughey is being Bojack Horseman — from the television series “Bojack Horseman” — with his friend Elise Fiorita, who is dressing up as Sarah Lynn — another character from “Bojack.” As people plan their Halloween costumes, many are planning to do cohesive costumes with their friends. 

“It’s definitely a group thing, it always has been,” Mcgaughey said. “For college students, it’s all about going out together. Or, even as a trick-or-treater, I always wanted to trick-or-treat with my friends. Whether you’re partying or getting candy, you’re still getting a treat with people you know.”

Ivy Fox-Hays, a first-year biology major, and her friend Brooklyn Seitler, a first-year majoring in molecular biology, have multiple costumes planned for “Halloweekend.” They are planning on being a cowgirl, Britney Spears and Magic Mike, while also doing a group costume as Care Bears.

“People are going to have multiple costumes,” Fox-Hays said, “A group costume is always in the plans for a good friend group, but then you also want time to pull out an individual costume.”

“If you’re a gorgeous group of people, a group costume is needed,” Seitler said, “Every year we see Disney princesses, and it’s so good.”

Whether it’s deciding which trends to follow or budgeting your costumes, there is a lot that goes into developing the perfect costume ideas. Still, Mekbeb-Gillett prioritizes matching with friends rather than spending a lot of money.

“You don’t have to be really extravagant,” Mekbeb-Gillett said. “It’s more about the connection you’re making with your friends instead of the singular outfit that you’re having.”

Mekbeb-Gillett is planning on doing one group costume, one single costume and possibly a couples costume. Although they haven’t all been solidified, she is sure that her friend group will be dressing up as Destiny’s Child this holiday. 

“I think Halloween is a beautiful holiday for people to be themselves,” Mekbeb-Gillett said. “It’s the one time out of the year where we can’t be judged for what we look like. It’s a great thing to take advantage of.”

Sara Hussain, a junior political science and economics major, planned four different costumes for this Halloween — Barbie, a cat, Megan Fox and Machine Gun Kelly with a friend plus Raven and Starfire from “Teen Titans.” 

“I wanted to be Barbie because I saw it on TikTok and knew it was in trend,” Hussain said. “It’s going to be easy, because honestly I just need a pink dress and a ‘B’ necklace. It’s quick and then everyone will know what I am. I’m just excited to see my friends.”

Briana Bindus, Staff Writer