The Pitt News box outside the Cathedral of Learning.
TPN thanks, says goodbye to senior editors
By The Pitt News Staff April 26, 2024

By The Pitt News Staff April 26, 2024

Notes From an Average Girl | Happy Halloweekend

Notes from an Average Girl is a biweekly, relatable blog about navigating college life.

So, here we are. The weekend that many deem the best of the fall semester. Also the weekend many will not remember much of. It’s the weekend many have spent months planning their outfits for. Ladies and gentlemen, we have reached Halloweekend. 

Halloweekend is the weekend either prior to or after Halloween when most college kids get dressed up and party Thursday through Saturday. It consists of pregaming, “slutty” costumes and sweaty frat basements. It results in hangovers, Instagram feeds filled with posts captioned “happy Halloweekend” and the scariest Sunday of them all. 

It’s safe to say that this weekend is a big deal, especially for girls. Most guys throw on a jersey, claim themselves to be their favorite sports player and call it a day. But for girls, planning takes months and looks different for everyone. While some take the solo or couple’s costume route, others partake in the turbulent process of planning a group costume. The discussion begins with “costume idea” TikToks and Pinterest screenshots sent in the group chat. Eventually, as the holiday approaches, the discussion becomes more intense. One girl will throw out an idea and immediately get shot down with, “I hate that.” The vetoer will return with an alternative option, and another idea will get denied, strictly out of pettiness. Costume planning with college girls is not for the weak. 

What’s funny about Halloweekend is that, in theory, it’s meant to celebrate Halloween. But does it really? Or is it just an excuse to party? Students spend three days getting minimal sleep for the sake of the holiday, but if the holiday falls on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, it is barely spared a thought on the actual day. Those with a fun spirit may throw on an orange shirt, but the rest of us remain in our everyday clothing. The last time I ate candy on Halloween, I was probably around sixteen. So, since college towns don’t partake in the usual trick-or-treating, I have found new traditions to take part in. 

I guess Halloween just has different meanings at different ages. As a young child, it was “Candy, yay!” I would dress up as a bumblebee or whatever my mom thought was cute that year. As I got older and was allowed to trick-or-treat without my parents tagging along, my mindset changed to “Wow, independence! This is cool.” I’d wear matching Minion or superhero costumes with my best friend. Then, it turned to “I’m too cool to dress up.” I’d go to my friend’s house in a sweatshirt and leggings to pass out candy. And finally, I think the only quote to properly describe Halloween as a teen girl is from “Mean Girls,” when Cady says, “In girl world, Halloween is the one night a year when a girl can dress like a total slut, and no other girls can say anything about it.” I’ll refrain from describing my costumes in this phase. 

It’s easy to get caught up in the pressure of the weekend. But honestly, dressing up is not for everyone. And dressing in minimal clothing is also not for everyone. Neither is going out, and that’s okay. 

Those who do participate in Halloweekend are not shielded from the pressure either. While some girls fear standing out in the crowd, others fear being seen in the same costume as another. Either way, everyone feels some level of insecurity. 

Sure, Halloweekend is fun. But peer pressure is not easy to withstand. Wear what you want, watch what you drink, have fun and be safe! Happy Halloweekend!

Madeline Milchman, Senior Staff Writer