Campus Life | Favorite Bakeries in Pittsburgh

Campus Life is a biweekly blog about the everyday things happening around Pitt’s campus.
TPN File Illustration

One thing that will always make my day is a freshly baked treat, especially on a chilly day. Recently, I’ve loved to explore Pittsburgh’s bakeries and, to my surprise, there are so many surrounding us. Each bakery I visited had its own unique charm accompanied by tasty goods. 

One of my newly found favorite bakeries is Vanilla Pastry Studio, a cupcake-centered bakery located on Centre Ave. I was never a big cupcake person until my friends took me to this studio, and I have been obsessed with it ever since. They have so many unique flavor combinations that you can choose from, like Chocolate and Espresso, Vanilla and Dulce de Leche, Mango and Passionfruit and many more. What sets this bakery apart is the beautiful custom wedding cakes on display that are stunning to look at. Along with the intriguing cakes, they also make cake pops in many flavors. The next time you find yourself near Target or Trader Joe’s, make sure to stop by Vanilla Pastry Studio to grab a cupcake, or maybe two!

A classic bakery in Pittsburgh that you have most likely heard of is Prantl’s Bakery on Walnut Street in Shadyside. They have many locations, but this is the closest one to Pitt’s campus. Prantl’s has many baked options. Cannolis, danishes, cupcakes, coffee cakes — the list goes on. Their iconic Burnt Almond Torte was hailed as “The Best Cake in America” and is something you need to try when you go. They have different variations of the dessert, such as Raspberry Torte, Torte Pastry Cream and Toasted Almond Cake Bars. I got a few of these desserts for my roommate’s birthday a few months ago and it was a total crowd-pleaser. 

Another popular place that is known for its desserts is “Peace, Love and Little Donuts” in the Strip District. They have so many funky flavors, such as Salted Caramel Macchiato and Strawberry French Toast, but also have classic donut flavors like Boston Cream and Maple Bacon. One of the things I love most about this place is that their donuts are small, making it easy to sample a variety of flavors without it being too overwhelming. They have mini donuts for dogs as well, which is perfect if you decide to bring your pet. And if their donuts being perfect wasn’t enough, they also give their customers a free Cinnamon Sugar donut when you walk in, which of course tastes amazing. 

One of the very first bakeries I tried in Pittsburgh was La Gourmandine on Butler Street in Lawrenceville. They have multiple locations, including Downtown and Homestead, but the one in Lawrenceville is my favorite. This luxurious bakery has many pastries such as eclairs, macarons and tartes, which all come in unique flavors. Along with their sweet treats, they also have an impressive savory menu, which consists of different types of baguette sandwiches and boulangerie bread. My favorite thing to get from their menu is their caprese sandwich along with a breakfast Danish, which I always pair with a coffee. I don’t know about you, but that combination is the best way to start your day. 

Hopefully, sometime throughout the year, you get the chance to visit these bakeries with a few of your friends like I did. Bakeries, and their delicious goods, add another layer of perfection to a chilly autumn day.

Shriya writes primarily about her everyday experiences on Pitt’s campus. Talk to them at [email protected].

Shriya Yadamreddi, Senior Staff Writer