The Pitt News box outside the Cathedral of Learning.
TPN thanks, says goodbye to senior editors
By The Pitt News Staff April 26, 2024

By The Pitt News Staff April 26, 2024

Pitt football falls to Duke 30-19, finishes season 3-9

Pamela Smith | Contributing Editor
First-year linebacker Jordan Bass (20) celebrates after a play during the game against FSU at Acrisure Stadium on Sunday, Nov. 4.

Pitt football (3-9, 2-6 ACC) finished its turbulent season on a down note, falling to Duke (7-5, 4-4 ACC) 30-19 in its season finale. 

At 3-9 the Panthers finish the season with their worst win-loss record under head coach Pat Narduzzi — and their worst record since 1998.

Both teams’ passing attacks saw moderate success, but the Panthers slightly edged out the Blue Devils. The Panthers out-yarded the Blue Devils by 17 yards. Redshirt sophomore quarterback Nate Yarnell threw for 265 yards and two touchdowns. Redshirt senior wide receiver Bub Means led the Panthers with six catches, 85 yards and a touchdown.

Both teams failed to get much going in the rushing attack. Junior Rodney Hammond Jr. and redshirt senior C’Bo Flemister rushed 17 times for just 39 yards for the Panthers. 

But the difference maker was in the pass rush. The Blue Devils sacked Yarnell four times, while the Panthers failed to record any sacks. This gave the Blue Devils the advantage they needed to put the game away in the second half.

Inconsistency on offense, defense and special teams has haunted the Panthers all season. But unlike their other contests, there is not another game for the Panthers to try to right their wrongs.

A frustrating season, to say the least, ends on a frustrating note for the Panthers.

Jermaine Sykes, Assistant Sports Editor
Jermaine Sykes is the Assistant Sports Editor for The Pitt News. He is a part of the College of Business and Administration class of 2024 and is double majoring in Marketing and Human Resources Management. He is also pursuing a Sports Management certificate and an Economics minor. He has written over 90 articles as a member of the sports staff.